Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

fuel injection??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:39 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: fuel injection??

Watch Craigslist for manifolds. A little patience and you will find one for $50. In fact you could put a want ad on there and you may even get it for less. I placed an ad for spindles for my Cobra front brake conversion and a guy gave me a set because he wanted them out of his garage.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:35 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

i forgot about the firing order being different but some companys sell cams that change the 4 and 7 firing order aka 4 7 swap you guys think that could fix it
Old 05-28-2007, 03:32 AM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

hey Nelson will i need toswop out anything elseother then the upper and lower manifold ??? thanks for the help
Old 05-28-2007, 02:58 PM
JamesW

What would be a 'performance' 5.8L motor to look for? Seems like most EFIs of that time period would be truck motors.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:19 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

JamesW:
I am interested in a roller 5.8 block that I could use with my 5.0 computer. I will make the performance myself, a striker kit, AFR heads and a nice cam. I bet you could get another 100 horses out of a 408 than a similiar 302.

IM RICKY BOBBY:
These are the parts I can think of now that you may need for the EFI conversion. Manifolds, throttle body, mass air flow sensor, EFI distributor, fuel injectors, fuel rail, change the firing order on the plugs, wiring harness (I would go with aftermarket fordfuelinjection.com), computer, serpentine belt system, cone air filter, inlet pipe, custom/aftermarket export brace, new hoses, misc sensors, new high pressure fuel pump and lines, return fuel line ( I put the return line in the drain plug of the tank), and a great website like jamesW's or fordfuelinjection.com to walk you through the process. I probably forgot something but that is a prett good start. The conversion is not that bad but you will have to be handy around the shop like JamesW said.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:26 AM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

Yes you can use a stock EFI on a 351. Firing orders must be the same 13726548. The mass air meter will compensate for the displacement. I have used a stock 302 EFI on a 351W and had no problems tuning it under 7000 RPM.
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
302 (Pre-82)
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
5.0 HO
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
5.0 Truck
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
well i was hopeing that nelson would respond to my last post since he said that its possible and is the only one that has had success with doing it.

Darreld : what your talking about is going with new stuffandgoing custom.. right?? cuz if you are i would probably go with this EFI.... http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product.php?pk=52
but regardless i appreciate the help.... just taking a wild guess but going by ur name you did a EFI conver to ur 68? what size engine and how did u go about doing it?? thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 02:34 AM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: maverick75

check this sytem out..bit pricy but looks great and you wont have to change your intake and it will look stock

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/products/bossefi/
thats the most badass thing ive seen in awhile, efi that looks just like a carb to the untrained eye [8D]
Old 05-29-2007, 01:39 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I have a 68 Convertible that I converted to EFI. I purchased a junk yard 5.0 from a 1990 Mustangwith a 5 speed. I got the tranny in the deal as well. I intended to do the swap on the cheap but ended up rebuilding the whole engine, new pistons, cam, balancing, boring 30 over, new head, intake....... Pretty much the only thing stock now is the block, crank and rods. You know how this hobby quickly turns into "Well if I am already doing that then I might as well just do this". If I were to do it over again I would have bought a block and tranny and just pieced it together from there.

I converted from a 6 cyl to v8 so I needed the whole shebang. I reall like the retroekspeed setup and if I already had a stout V8 I would go that way. The only thing you loose in my opinion is that high tech look under the hood. It looks much easier to install though.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:37 PM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

I reall like the retroekspeed setup and if I already had a stout V8 I would go that way. The only thing you loose in my opinion is that high tech look under the hood. It looks much easier to install though.
thats the same thing i was thinking cuz no matter how many ppl say i dont care what it looks like as long as it makes me go faster ill take it.. well they're wrong looks always have something to do with it and i want to go EFI for the performance but i want the hi-tech look as well, that has something to do with it. i mean the looks wont make or break it but they help alot....
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: JamesW

Out of my area, but my gut would tell me no. First off... is the 302HO and the 351 the same firing order? Then you've got different throttle conditions to consider, different O2 sensor parameters, etc. I may be all wrong..but I've not heard of it.
yes you can use the 5.0mustang computer for the 351w it must be an A9L (5speed) or an A9P(auto) puter they have mass air, an earlier puter without mass air will not compensate the extra displacement. the firing order on the 302ho is identical to the 351w. you can use the 5.0 mustang puter on any 302 though you just have to keep the stock 289-302 firing order and move the injector wiring to the correct cylinder if im not mistaken a ive read an article a while back on it

Quick Reply: fuel injection??