Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

fuel injection??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 PM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

Default fuel injection??

hi everyone, i have a 69 mach 1 with a 351w.030 over and i have alum GT-40X heads, i have also converted it from theC-4 toa manualTR-3550 tranny. suspension wise i have in the front the mustang II. my new idea is to is to convert from my 750 edlebrock carb to fuel injection for two main reason. i figured that fuel injection is much more reliable, newertechnology. the other reason better mgp. best was to put it is i want corvette gas mileage with that kinda performance... my question is.... is this just ignorant or is it worth doing..... and if it is worth doing am i better of going total custom or just stopping buy the local junk yard and pulling off the total package off of a 89-93 mustang w/ mass air flow. please any comments or opinions would be apreciated... thank you
Old 05-25-2007, 07:08 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: fuel injection??

ah the fun efi topics....let the war begin

well as far as better mpg....yes. reliablity, id say no. with efi you have to have change all the electronics and (least imo) makes things more complicated and more to go wrong. you can get corvette performance (though id just take 351w mustang performance). id say no seeing as you want some good performace. i hope thats not your only car cuz id just take a honda or some other 4 banger for mpg ratings
Old 05-25-2007, 07:57 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I think EFI gives you an advantage on mileage and reliability. Performance wise probably not that much of a difference for the daily driver. You wouldn't be able to just take the manifold off a 5.0 mustang. The lower manifold and distributorwould be different. You would need a manifold for a 351 EFI engine. The wiring is not bad if you use an aftermarket harness. I used the one from fordfuelinjection.com and it was a cake walk. I found it to be more complex to run the fuel system. I did notice that there was a new mechanical fuel pump for high pressure EFI applications in this months Hot Rod Magazine. It was for a SBC though. If it was made for a ford I would go this way with the fuel system. It was very slick and had the return line plumbed right back to the fuel pump. Just change the current soft fuel lines to high pressure lines and go!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 PM
maverick75
2nd Gear Member

check this sytem out..bit pricy but looks great and you wont have to change your intake and it will look stock

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/products/bossefi/
Old 05-25-2007, 09:18 PM
JamesW

As alluded to.... doing an EFI mod..especially adding EFI to an existing non EFI motor, is an 8 out 10 on the tinkerer's scale. Aftermarket systems are outrageously priced, and junkyard (performance) swaps are going to be scarce. Most likely you'll find truck systems, which their computer will not be performance oriented. I cannot think of a performance 351 efi donor car.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:00 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

As far as performance, carbs and EFI when tuned properly are very similar, not enough to make that big of a difference even on a track(unless you go blown, then EFI is better from a tuning aspect with forced induction). As far as reliability, carburetion, again when set up properly, has less to go wrong and is more reliable. I know a lot of people that have all sorts of EFI problems(to be expected though, sensors go out etc) while my carb keeps pluggin along same as before. As far as mileage, yeah, EFI gets a slight advantage to a big advantage, depending on how you set up the car. But honestly, with a 351W with the heads you got, get rid of that 750 and put either a 650 vac 2nd or a 670 Street Avenger, and you'll get better performance AND better mileage. 750 is too much for even a 351 on the street. Spend $350-400 to buy a new carb that's the right size, then use the other $2,500 you saved by not going to EFI and put it into suspension and a nitrous setup, you can get good milage, smoke most cars just on the engine, smoke almost anything on nitrous, and it'll be reliable and way cheaper than any other route.

As a side note, if you do go EFI, you might want to look at aftermarket standalones. They are pricey, but for good reason. Non factory setups, mostly speed density which works great, many run alpha-n at low rpm so you can idle it with just about any cam you want, and they have a GREAT deal more tunability than most factory setups with less stuff(since it's not for federal mileage and emission stuff) to go wrong
Old 05-26-2007, 06:08 AM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the input, to justify my comment about the corvette. i do enjoy my 351w power i just would like the have the power with the 28 mpg the corvette has with it, i only used the corvette beacuse it was the only car i could think of that semi-compared but this isnt my only car i just dont want to be limited to driving it on a sunday afternoon..i just want to find a happy medium...

however i am lookingat going forced induction at some point and i heard efi was better for that so i got to thinking. as far and taking efi out of a just yard i would up the injector size and use the fuel rail and wire harness etc. but i know i would have to change the manifolds cuz they wouldnt find but it was just an idea.. one of my friends told me it should work however i thought i would get a second opinion on it.. ill look into the standalone EFI tho thanks for the idea.

the carb im using now is a edlebrock 750 performance series... some ppl say that the 750 would be fine, others say its too big or that its a waste and that i'd be better of going smaller and i would get better performence that way kinda what ur saying. damn i just bought it i probably only have about 500 miles on it.... that sucks

WOW that BossEFI looks nice, from what i understood that just sits on top of my exsisting manifold? or did i misundstand it? fromthe empression im getting from you guysgoing EFI isnt worth the money or the hassel??
Old 05-26-2007, 06:27 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

jamesw the late 80s early 90s f150 had a 351w with the same efi on the fox body thats the cheapest way. yes im ricky bobby that bossefi replaces your carb on the manifold you have now look at http://www.mass-floefi.com/ they build efi systems off carb manifolds but you have to send them a manifold but they will build a efi system that will be enough for any engine.edlebrock has a efi kit few other companys do too but i think retotek and mass flowefi are the only plug and play.meaning alot of them out there you have to use a laptop to tune it
Old 05-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Stevetra
2nd Gear Member

Forgive my ignorance...

I see different pictures and discriptions of EFI.
Is there a big performance difference between TBI (throttel body injection) and true fuel injection with individual injectors for each cylinder?
I see EFI and think fuel bars and injectors with special intakes ect...only to pop the hood and find what looks like a standard intake with a TBI unit on it.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:10 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

tbi is like a carb but its conputer controled so no tuning no jetts to change no vaccum 2nds to play with. next time your bored look at the fuel systems on a top fuel drag car its more of a nitrous sprayer plate but works great. to me the prices for most of them out there i rather spend a little more and get a efi hilborn

Quick Reply: fuel injection??