Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Plans for a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:01 AM
YourBrainIsGod

Default Plans for a Mustang

I don't have a Mustang yet, but I'm searching around for a 69 Mustang Project Car. I'm only looking for a coupe so I shouldn't have too much trouble. I was planning on building a 429 SCJ to put in it. I'm not an expert on cars (I'm still learning), but my dad knows just about all there is to know. I was also going to upgrade the suspension. Just looking for some things that people would recommend looking into.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:22 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Plans for a Mustang

The first questions that needs to be answered are, what is your intended use for this Mustang. Drag racing? Street cruising? Car shows? And why a 429 SJC?

One you answer these questions, then our (the members of this Forum) answers and comments will be better suited for your car.
[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 01-11-2005, 07:52 AM
YourBrainIsGod

ORIGINAL: 65_2plus2

The first questions that needs to be answered are, what is your intended use for this Mustang. Drag racing? Street cruising? Car shows? And why a 429 SJC?

One you answer these questions, then our (the members of this Forum) answers and comments will be better suited for your car.
[sm=smiley20.gif]
My plans are for it to be a daily driver with awesome power. And I chose the 429 SCJ because there are tons of 429/460 blocks in my dads garage, and that was my first conclusion of what I would want to put in there. I am open to any other suggestions as well.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:30 PM
tornado
1st Gear Member

well if u have a 429 engine just laying around then u should but that in
Old 01-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you put in a big block engine, then be prepared to upgrade the front suspension prior to putting in that heavy engine.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:10 PM
tornado
1st Gear Member

thats true
Old 01-12-2005, 09:54 PM
YourBrainIsGod

I was planning to. I was looking at aftermarket springs and found a 620 and a 750 pound springs (I was planning to do the rear suspension as well). Which would you recommend? The engine will get full aluminum treatment to decrease as much weight from the front as possible. I'm not sure on the factory specs for the front suspension. Will the 620 work or should I shoot for the 750?

I was curious on any power upgrades I should consider looking into. Along with any other suspension upgrades to make it handle decently.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

u will have 1 badass ride when your done with it. I would love to see all of the little ricer boys' faces when u role up to the light in your '69 429 mustang. i'd prolly pee my pants if i saw something that magnificent.lol
Old 01-13-2005, 05:44 PM
tyybo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YourBrainIsGod

I was planning to. I was looking at aftermarket springs and found a 620 and a 750 pound springs (I was planning to do the rear suspension as well). Which would you recommend? The engine will get full aluminum treatment to decrease as much weight from the front as possible. I'm not sure on the factory specs for the front suspension. Will the 620 work or should I shoot for the 750?

I was curious on any power upgrades I should consider looking into. Along with any other suspension upgrades to make it handle decently.
hey im lookin at redoin the front end of my 66. wher did you find that spring kit?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: YourBrainIsGod

The main difficulty will be getting the 429 engine to fit the Mustang's engine compartment. To do so, the shock towers have to be relocated outward (by hand) and while you are at it, the suspension has to be lowered and moved further outwards 1 inch, using spindles and control arms unique to the 429. This makes the 429 handle much better than other big-block equipped Mustangs. Although a bit pricey, I would consider the coil over springs/shocks if I were you.

Quick Reply: Plans for a Mustang