Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 AM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Default Power Steering Fluid

I just upgraded to power steering. If I ever figure out how to route the hoses (I'm beginning to doubt my decision to install Tri-Y headers), it will be time to put fluid in the pump. In my younger days I put Type F transmission fluid in the power steering pump. However, I think I read in the shop manual or the Chilton manual that I'm supposed to use Type A fluid. Which ATF do you use in your power steering pump?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 AM
ghettoct
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Power Steering Fluid

an article i found in mustang monthly said "Don't use late-model transmission and power-steering fluids, such as Mercon IV, in your classic Mustang's power steering. Older spec fluids, such as Type F, FA, and Dexron III, work quite well in Bendix and Saginaw power-steering systems."

i just recently replace my steering gear box and the guy at autozone said that regular power steering fluid is the same as type F but without the red dye. (not 100% sure if he is accurate), i ran the regular power steering fluid but someone said to replace the power steering hoses while iam at it...yet i didnt heed the advice and blew a line...so iam waiting for new hoses which arrive today and iam finally getting out and about after 10 years of tinkering. good luck on yours!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ghettoct

"Don't use late-model transmission and power-steering fluids, such as Mercon IV, in your classic Mustang's power steering. Older spec fluids, such as Type F, FA, and Dexron III, work quite well in Bendix and Saginaw power-steering systems."
Good advice

[quote}
the guy at autozone said that regular power steering fluid is the same as type F but without the red dye. (not 100% sure if he is accurate),
[/quote]

Good instincts - think about it, if the guy is qualified to know the specific differences between hydraulic oils, why is he working at a parts store?

I went to the Penzoil site (just because it was easy, not as a recommendation) and compaired their specifications for modern power steering fluid and type F ATF. There are minor differences in the viscosity and specific gravity. The biggest difference was Type F must pass seal compatibility, rustprotection, and a copper strip corrosion test. The Power Steering Specification does not mention these tests.

I thinking that as long as the Fordspecified product is available, then that is what I should use.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The Chilton's manual is wrong.
Ford used Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid in them. It is not the same as Dexron or Mercon fluid. Besure to either get Type F ATF or power steering fluid. Donot put brake fluid in there!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:04 PM
shikoz
2nd Gear Member

After seeing this, I have to tell you all of a situation. . .

When I was in high school (about 9 years ago), I worked at one of the last Chevron "real" service stations in this area. One day, a gentleman called and was trying to accomplish an oil change on his own. The car was a 1982 Honda Civic (maybe a CVCC). He said, "I figured out out how to empty out the oil just fine but after dumpin' 5 quarts of oil in the engine, I can't seem to register any oil on the dipstick!" I asked, "Where did you put the oil?" Without hesitation he said, "I took off that big round hubcap lookin' thing on top of the engine and poured the oil in there."

Soo many great stories from that place!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

That's like the blonde who went to a parts house and asked for a "seven-one-zero". The parts guy didn't have a clue what she was talking about. She said, "Its round, unscrews, and has 710 on it."

[IMG]local://upfiles/64151/9AB697C6F6724210BB216FEF61252CB0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: shikoz

After seeing this, I have to tell you all of a situation. . .

When I was in high school (about 9 years ago), I worked at one of the last Chevron "real" service stations in this area. One day, a gentleman called and was trying to accomplish an oil change on his own. The car was a 1982 Honda Civic (maybe a CVCC). He said, "I figured out out how to empty out the oil just fine but after dumpin' 5 quarts of oil in the engine, I can't seem to register any oil on the dipstick!" I asked, "Where did you put the oil?" Without hesitation he said, "I took off that big round hubcap lookin' thing on top of the engine and poured the oil in there."

Soo many great stories from that place!

Talkin' about burning oil.