Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bullitt............Not that impressed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:44 AM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Default Bullitt............Not that impressed.

Well, I am almost 40 and am on my third mustang. I only saw Bullitt (the movie) for the first time the other night on TV. I was pumped that it was on and that I was finally going to see this great car chase and movie everyone has been talking about. I was somewhat dissappointed. I mean, love the 67 fastback, but it was nothing special in the movie. The chase scene was done in the first third of the movie and after that, no more mustang. I actually enjoyed seeing all the other cars in the movie more (you really see how mustangs were prevalent at the time. They show up in almost every scene). And although I am a die hard Ford mustang fan, that black charger was a nice car too. To bat they got wrecked.

No big deal, I just didn't think it lived up to all the hype. Bullitt edition mustang etc. The movie itself was nothing spectacular either. Just my two cents.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bullitt............Not that impressed.

Yep, I fell asleep not long after the main chase. Things I noticed; 67 had an open rearend, the tranny must have been a 6 speed, McQueen liked to push in the clutch while his foot was still on the gas making for a unique sounding exhaust (someone acutally started a thread asking how to make their exhaust sound like Bullits).
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

What are you??? A communist???

Just kidding.

Except for the chase scene and the other background cars that movie is a bit of a snore.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:48 AM
SS4LUNCH
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smothers

Yep, I fell asleep not long after the main chase. Things I noticed; 67 had an open rearend, the tranny must have been a 6 speed, McQueen liked to push in the clutch while his foot was still on the gas making for a unique sounding exhaust (someone acutally started a thread asking how to make their exhaust sound like Bullits).
The sound bytes for the engine were actually from a GT40 from what I remember reading. That's why you hear the double clutching. Been a little while since I have watched the movie but I thought it was a '68. It had a 390 and the Charger was a 440. They had to put smaller tires(diameter) on the Charger so the weak 390 could keep up.

Thank God for the '68 R-code and the 428CJ to give us something better than the 390.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

If you want to see a nice car chase (actually a car chasing the elevated subway), see French Connection II. It has a lot of close ups and POV shots of Hackman chasing the bad guy.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

The movie, 'Bullitt', was about a corrupt politician using a criminal's testimony to further his career. There are a lot of interesting characters in the movie, both good guys and bad guys. The movie takes place in San Francisco, with the climax taking place at San Francisco Airport. The chase scene was one of a kind, something that had never been done like this before. It includes a Mustang and a Charger - both classified as 'muscle cars'. They, and the chase scene, were incidental to plot, but have made it to 'cult' status. I like the chase scene because it pisses off bow tie owners.
Are there better car chases? Sure. Don't bother naming them. Steve McQueen wouldn't like it.
Jim
Old 08-09-2007, 11:01 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I found the movie at the px one day, and on an impulse I bought it. I would really like to have my $20 back. I know the chase scene was something new and exciting for the time, but I didnt really care for it. Didnt even finish watching the movie.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:46 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Nope, it's a pretty god awful movie, don't see the hype.. The 5 min car chsae doesn't make up for it.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:49 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, you are right, it is a 68.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:18 PM
SS4LUNCH
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JohnnyK

Nope, it's a pretty god awful movie, don't see the hype.. The 5 min car chsae doesn't make up for it.
Get surround sound and crank the volume!!!

Quick Reply: Bullitt............Not that impressed.