Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Plastic Radiator Overflow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 PM
dstanger
2nd Gear Member

Default Plastic Radiator Overflow?

Has anyone put a plastic overflow on a 66 (or close) car? I want to put an overflow on but don't like those skinny metal ones. I thought I saw a guy at a car show recently that had a plastic overflow that looked like a windshield washer fluid reservoir. Does anyone know where I can get one like this and how it hooks up to the radiator?
Thanks!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Plastic Radiator Overflow?

Yeah, I have one on my 65. You can get recovery tanks at just about any auto parts store or at the junk yard. I believe I got mine at Autozone. You will need some 1/2" od black hose to connect to your rad and the cap will need to be a 13 pounder that is compatible with the recovery tank.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10034/05E7C4988AC54A668F5BF0535A1AF5CF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Sure do. I have two regrets about the overflow - not putting one in sooner, and not making an adapter plate for mounting it using a fender bolt so as not having to drill holes in the fender apron.
Jim
Old 08-15-2007, 04:11 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I need to pick up one of these soon...it is startin to bubble over in this heat. I still can't decide if I like the chrome skinny ones or the plastic, but the plastic wins in price

Not to hijack, but how are the hoses hooked up to this thing? There is a nozzle on the top and bottom sides of the overflow tank, and I don't know what goes where...
Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mySAVIOReigns

I need to pick up one of these soon...it is startin to bubble over in this heat. I still can't decide if I like the chrome skinny ones or the plastic, but the plastic wins in price

Not to hijack, but how are the hoses hooked up to this thing? There is a nozzle on the top and bottom sides of the overflow tank, and I don't know what goes where...
Hopefully you can tell by this pic, but the hose coming from the radiator is attached at the bottom of the recovery tank, and another hose is attached to the top and is vented to the ground in case the recovery tank is overfilled and keeps it from exploding. You only want to fill your recovery tank about 1/4 full when the engine is cold. Then, you will not need to worry about blowing up the tank.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10034/49345932FC0642A98D95DE922F5E9D83.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Why not get a nice stainless model. I got mine for 20.00.

No offense Soaring, but that big plastic jug looks like ***. It sticks out like a soar thumb amongst all your nice original pieces.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

Why not get a nice stainless model. I got mine for 20.00.

No offense Soaring, but that big plastic jug looks like ***. It sticks out like a soar thumb amongst all your nice original pieces.
***? Looks like a recovery tank to me. Check with any automobile after about 1976 and you will see that white container that works really well with recovering the lost fluid when the engine is turned off. I have seen those aluminum tanks that are round and mounted to the side of the radiator. What's the difference. Neither one is original, and the aluminum one costs a ton more than my *** tank. Does the same job though.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

Why not get a small aluminum of s/s fire extinguisher bottle, drill 1 hole about 1 or 2 inches from the bottom and 1 about 1 inch from the top, thread it for 90 degree fittings, polish it, install the fittings with a lexan site tube, mount it next to the radiator with some nice brackets and run a polished s/s line to it?

It would look a ton better than a plastic box.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikethebike

Why not get a small aluminum of s/s fire extinguisher bottle, drill 1 hole about 1 or 2 inches from the bottom and 1 about 1 inch from the top, thread it for 90 degree fittings, polish it, install the fittings with a lexan site tube, mount it next to the radiator with some nice brackets and run a polished s/s line to it?

It would look a ton better than a plastic box.
Guess what you got.

[IMG]local://upfiles/64738/BCBE63FB5CCC4F18A501271C1378B9EE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

Mine looks like it's got a colostomybag

It seems to work well, but I've never been too big on the looks.

Quick Reply: Plastic Radiator Overflow?