Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Keep, Sell, Part out? Help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Default Keep, Sell, Part out? Help me decide!!

Hey,

I'm new to the forum obviously, but not new to the mustang world. Here's my story.

I bought my 1966 Coupe back in 1993 when I was 14. It was my first car and worked hard to scrounge up the $2200 I paid for it then. It was a 200 six/3 speed in a clearcoat chipping random blue with a half decent unoriginal interior and a huge amount of issues. It was great for the first 6 months I owned it, but I of course wanted more... much more. Over the years, it has went through more parts than I can remember and I've wasted countless hours and thousands upon thousands of dollars to come to the unhappy point I'm at today. The real issue is that over time a person's interests and styles change and now I'm at a crossroads..

The car has ran on and off (mostly off) for the last almost 15 years. I've driven it maybe 7 months out of those 15 years. When I was 18, I joined the Army and was never able to take the car with me because there was never a place to store it or work on it. It has basically lived in my dad's garage it's whole life. It was a tough time and I wished I could have spend more time on it. After almost 9 years, I left the Army in pursuit of a new and less family taxing career. I plan on buying a house next year and then I will finally have a place to work on the car. So it starts.....

Here's my dilema... I basically want to build a corner carver with a turbo setup. Basically tube frontend with 4-link mini tubbed, fiberglass panels, stock stroke bulletproof twin turbo efi 302, etc.... I'm fallen in love with the turbo import scene and want to bring the technology I learned over to the retromod scene with my Mustang. The car was never rare or desireable for that matter, so cutting it up will not hurt my feelings and shouldn't hurt many others.

The issue is the car is 90% done and just really needs to be put together... although with all these (mostly new) parts, my new approach will basically not use 80% of what I have.....

I don't want to waste the time putting everything together on it, just to sell it off. And I darn sure don't want to ruin what I already have when it would be easier to start over from scratch.. I don't think many buy car kits nowadays do they??? And I doubt I could get a quarter of what I've put into it even with basically never used parts....

Here's where I am now:

BODY
1966 Mustang Coupe
Painted Atlantic Metallic Blue with Silver Metallic Lemans stripes
(ridiculous now) American Racing 15x7/15x10 wheels
New Upper a-arms (lowered 1")
New Lower a-arms
New Coil Springs (1 inch drop)
New front sway bar with poly bushings
New Rear Leaf Springs with poly bushings
New Rear Sway bar
Custom Traction bars
8 point rollcage
New kicker speaker panels
All autometer unilite guages
Flaming River quick ratio steering box
Front and Rear brakelocks
Pro-car seats with 5pt harnesses
Basically decent black interior

MOTOR
1968 302
Scat 3.42 stroker crank
Eagle H-beam long rods
Eagle Forged pistons
351W Heads heavily ported with oversized stainless valves, triple valvesprings
1.6 Roller rockers and chromoly pushrods
Crane PowerMax Cam - Advertised Duration: 286/294 Lift: .542/ .562
Milodon 7qt pan with melling high volume pump
Double roller timing chain
Mallory unilite 9000
Mallory Hyfire ignition
Dynomax ceramic coated full length headers
(sold) Edelbrock performer RPM and Holley 600 doublepumper
250HP Plate NOS setup
Jacobs Nitrous Controller
High Flow water alum water pump
Edelbrock manual fuel pump
Griffin alum radiator
(I'm sure I'm missing alot.....)

Built C4 trans
B&M megashifter
8" rear with locker (3.42 gears?)

I think that's the gist of it....

What should I do guys?

Here's some pictures to show where I stand...

Back in 1999...

Now...

Please excuse the dust... my cover tore apart two years ago...I did wax it 3 times over the years though....

What should I do????

Thanks

-Alex

Last edited by Blackms3; 03-29-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 PM
JamesW

Default RE: Pony problems... what to do???

Ebay and Craig's List. Sell off the parts you don't want to finance the ones you do. With good photos and clear descriptions, you'll be pleased with what prices you'll get for the parts.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Anyone else want to comment?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
scouttrooper
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Keep, Sell, Part out? Help me decide!!

Don't mistake the silence for lack of interest in you or your car. People here are friendly and eager to help. I suspect you're not getting responses because your asking a question that's difficult for anyone to answer without knowing who you are today, what kind of resources you have etc... I look at what you've shown us in those pictures and listen to what you've said you'd like to do, and my shoulders start to feel like I've got a lot of weight on them. It's a huge amount of work. My gut tells me that you'd never be happy with the degree of performance this will allow, especially if you're putting it in a situation that you'll constantly be comparing it's 40-yr-old foundation to those of late model cars. I think you should minimize your loss, but accept that you will take a loss. Then buy a newer foundation that will be a heap closer to where you unlimately want to be. Get that car in the hands of a mustang freak. Just out of curiosity, what did you think of "Tokyo Drift"?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Get it running so that somebody can drive it and know that the engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, etc. work properly and that all they have to do it the final assembly. Sell it, putting as little money into to as possible other than to get it running. Take that money and buy the platform that your really want for your build. Although I don't want to see a Mustang cut up to shoehorn different engines, suspensions and turbos, my response is based solely on economics.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 08-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

i dont know if youve decided to sell it or keep it, but how much would you want for the rear end (housing, axles, third member, not the brakes) and what have you done to the c4?oh, and what about thosewheels n tires
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Tokyo drift in respect to the mustang was horrible. I'm not asking to put a japanese motor or drivetrain in the car.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and won't go to another platform. I like the early coupes and that's the way it will stay. I want to take the classic looks of the early Mustang, but update it with new components. The heart will still be a smallblock ford, but updated with modern fuel injection and a healthy does of boost.

If I wanted an originial car, I would buy an all matching numbers K-code...and drive it as it is... but then there would be others with the same car, if not exact, close. The fact is, I want something no one has and to put my individualism into it. I obviously failed at my first attempt with the huge tires and undriveability of huge power in an old suspension and brakes package. This is my quandry. I want HUGE power and in a stable and reliable package that makes for just plain old fun driving in classic mustang design.

I understand my undertaking is a massive project... The good news is I won't miss the car while it's down as I've been missing it for ages already.. Also keep in mind, I'm cutting up a classic, but a mismatched numbers 6cyl car... not exactly the most desireable combination... and I'm already a bit past that mark... I also understand the point of where does it stop being a classic mustang and start being something else...

In the end, I'll most likely part out everything I won't be using, including the engine, trans, rearend, suspension, etc and keep the body as it has alot of fond memories, if nothing else..... the only issue being the entire body will most likely be media blasted prior to the build and there goes a decent paint job down the tube...

Thanks for the comments guys and I can never get tired of others opinions on the situation.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I can't see the pictures (surf control at work) but if you decide to sell, let me know. What part of the country are you in?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 PM
mustdoc
2nd Gear Member

Agree with both JamesW and scouttrooper! But I am unsure if this is a mustang or financial question.

I would follow scoutrooper's advice - Ask yourself the tough question - is the Mustang really going to serve my needs and wants? If yes, sell the parts and let the sale proceeds finance your new endeavor to restomod your mustang.

If not, then this is a financial question and you may wish to sell the mustang:

A. As parts

OR

B. Reassemble it as quickly as possible and sell it.

The latter route (B.) involves your time which could be spent elsewhere earning money for your new endeavor... time is money in many circumstances. But may result in a quicker acquisition of $ and likely to net you more money in the long run.

A., on the otherhand, just involves patience and listing the parts but is likely to take longer for you to acquire the money through sales.

I think these are the principal financial pros and cons if you decide to abandon the mustang.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

My honest answer to this question will absolutely be colored by my udder dislike for the "tuner scene"..... nothing personal, and to each his own, but I despise the whole idea of remaking a Mustang in the image of a tuner. I think everyone here has "a line in the sand" with regard for what they want to see in a Mustang, my line is drawn at "an American Hotrod", (not the TVshow, but the style).

So knowing where I stand, I recommend one ofthree things, rekindle your interest in the Mustang to the degree that you can finish the car with the parts that you have, and then work your way into something that fits what you want from the car. Sell the car as is and take your financial lumps, or sell the car in pieces. It looks like thecar is in good enough condition that someone would want to buy it.

A reason for such few answers to this threadmight be thatfew peoplecan really answer your post in a positive manner, I know I offered nothing constructive to the discussion,, except, to thank you for your service to ourNation!!!

Quick Reply: Keep, Sell, Part out? Help me decide!!