Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rear end gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear end gears

I just sold a bunch of parts lying around from my 68. I decided to get rear end gears to put in the stock 8inch in my 68 with 289. I'm still debating weather to go with 3.55 or 3.73. I'm looked for the best performance basicly. My question is how hard is it to put new gears in a rear. What all will i need to buy to put the gears in?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear end gears

ORIGINAL: knuckless

I just sold a bunch of parts lying around from my 68. I decided to get rear end gears to put in the stock 8inch in my 68 with 289. I'm still debating weather to go with 3.55 or 3.73. I'm looked for the best performance basicly. My question is how hard is it to put new gears in a rear. What all will i need to buy to put the gears in?
Those are loaded questions. As far as gears what trans are you running and what application do you see using the car for? The 3.73 will give you better launches but over all lower top speeds. If you have a T5 or AOD either will work well but with a C4 or 4-speed I would stick to the 3.55. As far as the rebuild you will need a basic kit, bearings, seals, and such. They are easy enough to rebuild assuming you have the right tools. The challenge comes in setting the pinion gear depth for the correct tooth engagement. Usually a special tool is used for that, but if you do not have one the process involves LOTS of trial and error. Once pinion depth is set everything else is simple.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Gear changes are best left to the pros.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:16 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, if you need to ask how to set up a diff, pay someone to do it
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

suspect your running the stock C4 three speed. I wouldn't go beyond a 3:55, especially if you drive on the freeway. you can buy a complete center section starting around $700 from ebay, and easily hit $1K usingAuburn or similar. It's an easy bolt in if you buy a complete center section. Trying to rebuild your ownwith new carrier, ring/pinion, etc, requires special calibration tools and knowledge of backlash, measuring clearances, and will cost about half the expense. Good note above, if you have to ask, then buy one that's already done.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I just bought a center section off a guy on ebay all rebuild with traction lock for my C4 - I went with 3.4 gears probably should have done 3.55s.I would definitely not go any higher if you plan on doing any cruising over 60mph - revs close to 3K now with the 3.4's Swapping center section pretty easy - I had some help from someone that knew what they were doing and took us about 2 1/2 hours.Nospecial tools needed.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

why go that route when you can find an 8.8 for a few 100's complete with a set of 3.55 or even 3.27's which work good with a c-4
ORIGINAL: groho

suspect your running the stock C4 three speed. I wouldn't go beyond a 3:55, especially if you drive on the freeway. you can buy a complete center section starting around $700 from ebay, and easily hit $1K usingAuburn or similar. It's an easy bolt in if you buy a complete center section. Trying to rebuild your ownwith new carrier, ring/pinion, etc, requires special calibration tools and knowledge of backlash, measuring clearances, and will cost about half the expense. Good note above, if you have to ask, then buy one that's already done.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

so what your saying is that if i buy a 9 inch center section it will bolt right into where my stock 8 inch is?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

No, a 9 inch center will NOT bolt in to an 8 inch housing. There are 8 inch centers out there with similar set ups though.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

this shows how much i dont know about rear ends, theres a complete center section and housing of a mustang 9 inch on ebay, if i take my 8 inch center section off what can i bolt in place of the 8 inch center section and housing

Quick Reply: Rear end gears