Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shocks and Springs...Replace when?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Rider72

Default Shocks and Springs...Replace when?

Question - How do you know when or if you should replace the springs? I havent taken it apart yet, just tying to get a bit more good advice before I get into the weeds on this project.

Going over the RR tracks makes me think "I should change the shocks...." So while Im doing that...How do you know that the springs should go to? I have no clue of the history on the car, so I have no idea what the previous owner has done. The car is mostly original...so I'm just guessing that the shocks are too.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shocks and Springs...Replace when?

How floaty is the car at highway speeds? If you hit a bump and the front end bounces for a second or to after than it is time to change things. Also how is the ride height? Old springs will sag. A good pare of performance shocks (such as KBY gas adjust) will go a ling way to improve ride quality and a good set of new springs will work even better. The best advice I ever got was to run stock or GT stile front springs and performance shocks. The front end of a mustang is light enough that stiff springs make the ride rough and harsh. I had a set of stiff springs and replaced them with GT stile springs and my car is a corner carver that can take a tight corner at 90+ MPH.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Rider72

Now that you mention, I would have to describe the ride as harsh. Car doest really bounce, but I would by no means classify the ride as smooth when I hit a bump. More jaring and chassi rattling.

Would the issue potentially be springs that are too heavy vs. shocks?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Springs are there to dampen bumps, and shocks are there to control spring rebound. As an example of the functions if you took the shocks off, the car would continue to bounce long after the bump was hit. Stiff springs make for a suspension that is harsh and doesn't rebound at all or much when you hit a bump. Springs that are to soft make for a smooth ride but far to much suspension travel especially when cornering. That is why I will always run quality stock or GT springs for good ride quality and good shocks to support them.