Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Progress!! Engine is back.. Here's some pics..

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default Progress!! Engine is back.. Here's some pics..

I got the engine back Yesterday.. The build went well, i ended up with a .020 over bore, a edlebrock performer cam, and Speed Pro Hyperductic (however your spell it) pistons.. I talked to a guy I work with (a Chief in the Navy), he does off road desert racing that hopped up dune buggies, and he said he would mig weld my shock towers for knothing.. Good guy,,, So hopefully this week he will come over and do that, and next weekend I will be dropping my baby in.. The engine bay looks like crap, I tested a peice of the well wall with the rusteloeum that I am (was) using to paint the engine bay and was not happy. I used rustoleum semi gloss black,, so Im going to sand and spray prime it again and get some Semi Flat.. I painted my valve covers and oil pan black, and my 2bbl intake in aluminum finish,, So I just need to pick up a new water pump, paint it and slap everything back together.. I cant wait..

Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Progress!! Engine is back.. Here's some pics..

Looking good.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Looks very nice. I bet you are excited. IS the cam new? If so, hope he gave you break-in directions. Did he prime the engine with oil?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-09-2007, 02:30 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Yea, the cam is new,, new cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, and pistons.. I dont have break in instructions though, and I am excited as hell. Tonight I will be putting her together.. The engine was put on a running stand before pickup to check for cold compression and make sure everything was oiling correctly,, I will prime again though before I put in the distributor and try starting it.. That should be next weekend.. Im going to repaint the block though,, I dont like the bright blue, I would rather the darker ford blue..
Old 09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
ky
America ftw

very cool. i know how you feel. but why did you stick with the 2 barrel carb? oh your probably restoring it to original huh? thats cool. good luck with the install.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I couldnt afford the extra $450 or so that it would have cost me for the 4 barrel intake and carb.. So once I get it all back together and run it in a little, and save some money I will put a 4 bbl on it..
Old 09-09-2007, 06:35 PM
ky
America ftw

right on. just taken it slow. cool man.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

no rockers!?! why not
Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

boogerschnot, you are going to be way dissapointed especially running the 2bbl with the performer cam, you will probably not notice any difference except for a little bottom end........maybe 15hp/tq and before it breaks in it will probably feel slower than your old engine did. Tell you what, I'll sell you my almost brand new performer rpm for 75.00 + shipping, I have a 750 edelbrock carb that needs to be taken apar and cleaned out as I lent it to a friend who put it on a 289 that had 13 yr old gas in it and plugged it up I will let that go for cheap too a 750 is not too much as a dual plane manifold cuts your carb in half. I ran the performer cam in a 351w and it wasn't much differt from stock except from idle to about 3500 and then it drops off like a rock, just adding a cam with around 212-218 int duration really makes a difference even with stock heads.......you can get some generic cams like summit, paw for around 80.00 bucks that will run much better than the performer will in a 351w. PM me and I will set you up if you are interested.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Didnt need new rockers.. The old ones were in great shape.. You guys have to remember, this thing will be my daily driver as soon as its up and running so I built a budget motor with a few upgrades.. I will have my 2 and 4 year old in it dropping them off at day care every day, I have to keep it calm for now.. But later on down the road, 15 or so years,, you can bet that this thing will be a 408 stroker, with enough torque to snap my neck off if im not careful.. I just want my baby to run good and be safe for now..

Quick Reply: Progress!! Engine is back.. Here's some pics..