Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

V8 suspension on an I6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Default V8 suspension on an I6?

I will be replacing all of my suspension/steering components next month, and since I'm going to be buying all this new stuff I had a thought - Eventually, in a couple years, I am going to move to a V8 over my I6. But, if I were to install all V8 steering/suspension parts right now (while still running my 6) would it work? Thanks,

Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: V8 suspension on an I6?

It will work great,,, we ran the 66 for a while with the 6 and V-8 suspension... It was a pleasure to drive!!

Nice and tight, no leaning around corners,,, yea....
Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

awesome. I think most of the stuff is right around the same price, so it should benefit me both ways
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

You may want to keep the 6's springs though.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

You may want to keep the 6's springs though.
Nah, I would not recomend that,,, go with the V-8 springs, up front go witha 1" drop or so, then the car won't be sky high in the front.... go with new 5 leaf "grab-a-tracks" in the back when you get ready to change out the rear springs, you won't be disapointed..
Old 09-11-2007, 04:30 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

what about all that eye-stuff in the rear? I really never understood what that meant. mid-eye, etc. not sure what it all means. And, should I get that "shackle kit" if I am getting these 5-leafs too?

man, you guys could make a lot on commission lol
Old 09-11-2007, 05:08 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The "eye" positions on the leaf springs refers to how the round end that holds the bushings are positioned.

Standard springs have the eyes bent toward the the top of the spring, (Stock height)

Mid eyes have the eyes centered on the leaf (Lowers rearsome)

Reverse eyes have the eyes bent toward the bottom of the spring (Lowers rearmore, about 2" I think)

You will only need the shackle kit if your your shackles are bad, but you will need bushings regardless. New springs should come with the front bushings installed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/59032/4471EFFD2BEB4B90B1BA15D4350CE3BF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2007, 06:08 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i just got done with my i-6 conversion a while back, and it was a pain in the ***, i started out with putting the motor in first, i wont make that mistake again, i would start with the suspension, b/c with a solid suspension you can do what ever you want. build from the ground up! make sure if your going to use headers that it will clear the steering box , i ran into that problem. the guys on here are great they helped me out a lot.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

The Mid-eye springs really set a nice ride hight. While your adding the V-8 Suspension dont forget to add, Export brace, Monte Carlo Bar, Arning/Shelby drop, and a Performance alignment ala Daze. You'll be stoked!!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mr. Classic EFI

The Mid-eye springs really set a nice ride hight. While your adding the V-8 Suspension dont forget to add, Export brace, Monte Carlo Bar, Arning/Shelby drop, and a Performance alignment ala Daze. You'll be stoked!!
oh yes, for sure. Those 4 things are high priorities

Thanks JMD for clearing that up.

So does anyone know, if I buy the Grab-A-Trak kit from Mustangs Plus, will that completely suffice to replace everything from my 6 to the 8? I was thinking of this here. I will upgrade to the Gas-a-just. Don't know yet if I'll go with 5 leaf (do I really need that many?) but I'll go with mid-leaf.

It seems it will be missing a few things, such as the center link and idler arm stuff ( I think). I'll also need to get some bushings changed (Strut rod, and coil insulators)

Quick Reply: V8 suspension on an I6?