Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

black paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 PM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

Default black paint

Hello. So im going to paint my car black by the end of this month and i know theres all these different kids of black. What is the best black?(post pics if you have any please)

Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 02:52 AM
bmaytum
1st Gear Member

Default RE: black paint

In my experience, black is a color with nearly as many variations as white--both indensity and color tint. The easiest way to pick any color is to look at cars you see and pick one you like. Car dealerships are good since they try to keep them clean and there is usually little doubt about the year of the car. Large parking lots are also useful. Remember to judge the color in sun, shade, and at night for maximum satisfaction. When you find one you like, write down the VIN and snap a digital image to help your paint supplier match the color. Getting the color number off the car is also good, but tough to do unless you have access to the door jam.

You can also take a sample of a color you like and have it custom matched. This means you can draw from nearly any source. Krylon gloss black is an excellent color. Hobby paints are also excellent sources of colors to sample. You can even spray them on a model of your car to see how they will look!

You can also go with the original color chips and make a color that is just like the original. I would recommend urethane enamel for a single layer paint or better yet, a 2-layer basecoat/clear for longer life and deeper color.

I am partial to the 2007 Dodge and Chrylser black pearl that has a very light multicolored pearl over the black, jpunching up thi highlights and looking more vibrant on cloudy days. If you like a good dense black, I found a subaru color that was a deep blue-black with just a hint of red and green pearl mixed in. It just looked like a jet black, though the pearl punched up the highlights without calling attention to itself. Year? I had it custom matched to a 80's vintage Gibson Guitar and that is hoow it came out.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

New Dodge trucks have a niceblack with a bit of metallic in it.... beautiful colors.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I like the dodge black too.. My neighbor has a new charger RT with a white leather interior and the thing is beautiful!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Of course you know that black magnifies flaws in the preperation, so you'll need a first class preparation job before hosing on the paint.

I have done the trick of going to a car dealer and asking for the code of a color of car you like. The dealer I went to was happy to oblige even though I explained to situation to the salesman.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Dupont Fleet 44435. Black Metallic.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 PM
bw71mach1
1st Gear Member

I chose Sherwin-Williams Deep Black. SW has two base blacks for all of their black variations. I chose Deep Black which is one of the two base colors. No tinting at all.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:04 AM
bmaytum
1st Gear Member

Sounds Great! Keep us posted as you go.
BTW: If you need general information on painting, there is tons of it in the archives and FAQ. If you have questions, we are available.
Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 AM
eescapethefate
1st Gear Member

when are you taking it in?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:23 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

what about Raven black.... the mustang black....

Quick Reply: black paint