Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How do I get this ^#%#^*&*%^# out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Levitan

Default How do I get this ^#%#^*&*%^# out!!!

How doI get this distributor outta this 351c???!! I just used a bar to remove semi tires and half of a 2 1/2 jack handle and all I managed to do was smash my freekin finger. This is absolutely insane!!!! Is there a secret bolt that is fitted thru the block or something.5 days is long enough to remove a distributor.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How do I get this ^#%#^*&*%^# out!!!

Soak it with liquid wrench and work it back and forth before you pull up on it.
There are no hidden bolts or locking features. Just some corrosion.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Levitan

I have had penetrating oil on it for 5 days. The only way it moves is by tapping on it with a hammer. 20 taps to an 1/8th of a turn back and forth. I have broken the vacuum advance off and both hold down clamps. This sucks. I'm worried about there not being anything left to grab onto, under, or around to remove it. I have already given into the fact that a distributor is on my need to buy list, so I don't care about the money. I don't want to pull the engine. I don't have a garage. Sorry to be whining so much but I have never seen anything like this and it's bumming me out.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Well....if your dizzy is that stuck....I would be worried about the rest of the motor.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Levitan

No, this car runs great! It was just turning over a little slow like the timing was a bit off. I went to turn the distributor and it wouldn't budge. So, I grabbed a small prybar and everything went downhill from there.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
shr
3rd Gear Member

mine was really stuck also!!! i mean i had a 5 foot pry bar on it and it would not budge either, i soaked it in pen. lube, heated the base of the block to try to get it loose, used a drum brake puller on it and nothing budged it, so i finally got it out by prying on the bottom of the distrubter with a bar and having a buddy bump the engine over little by little and it popped out of there. you will just have to pull the valve cover and verify t.b.c and set it straight up. but i really FEEL your pain!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

same thing happened with my 68, sometimes it gets stuck, sometimes it slides right out, dont exactly know why but it came it eventually, try turn the fan and the belt to turn the crank and rotate the rotor in the ditributor
Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Levitan

Was it the distributor housing that was sticking inside the hole of the block? Or was it the gear on the bottom of the distributor that was sticking? It's gotta just be the distributor housing sticking right below the collar yes?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

try an ingine hoist with a choker arount the dist. Lift it up and tap it with a hammer while someone turns it over. If that don't work, dynamite.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Unfortunatly, this is not the first time I have heard about this on the forum, it sees to be a fairly common issue with SBFs,,, last time I saw a solution it was brute force,,, I like Valley Firearms solution.

I cant remember what the last guy did to get the distributor out, but there was not much left of it...

Might try a search, it seems like maybe April or May...