Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What part is this and where does it go? pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

Default What part is this and where does it go? pics inside!

Hi...

I ordered these through california mustang, they were called splash shields...i thought theyd be the rubber things you get that go below your wheel well so that you dont get any muck thats thrown up by the wheels onto your fender, but apparently this isnt the same thing!!

what do you guys think these things are? they look as tho they've been designed to sit inside the wheel well but i cant figure it out!!

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2...2007663mo8.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1...2007664hn0.jpg
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM
6marc5
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What part is this and where does it go? pics inside!

My stock ones had rubber attached on them. You might have to buy the rubber seperate or reuse the old. If you take your fenders off,you'll see where they go.I believe the small ones go behind the headlight bucket and the bigger ones go further back by the firewall.Now that I think about it,I may be backwards on placement. I'll look at my car when I get home and repost if nobody tells you for sure.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

thanks man..ill be waiting...its doing my head in!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

what parts do these protect again? i dont need to change these do i? any way i can check if mine need replacement without taking the fenders off?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:18 AM
6marc5
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: symbiote

what parts do these protect again? i dont need to change these do i? any way i can check if mine need replacement without taking the fenders off?
Theyjust keep stuff from splashing I guess?[8D]Mine were dry rotted and torn,so I will have to get new ones. Unfortunately,you'll have topull the fenders to check them. They attach to the outside of the inner fenders,and if I'm not mistaken the factory stapled them on. Anyways,I'll check this afternoon and let you know for sure.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

haha...just as the name suggests eh ...ill wait bro..thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

Yea, stick your head in the fender and check them out. You are correct in saying that the small ones go behind the headlight bucket and the larger ones go behind the wheel close to the firewall. The pictures show only the small ones BTW. You will need to get a rubber kit to go along with those. Staples come with them to attach the rubbers to the shields but I do not have a stapler that heavy duty. I just used weather strip adhesive and rivets. Why did you buy those and are not even sure if you need them? Just wondering...I bought new ones for my 67. I did not even have front shields and the rubbers were off of the rear. Save you more headache and buy the kit that has the rubber pieces attached. Cost more but easier in the long run.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

@dozierstang

man i had no idea these were those parts..in australia we call splash shields the rubber "mats" that go behind the wheel just at the base of the wheel arches to stop muck being thrown up to the rear/underside of the body...language clash i reckon
Old 09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

Oh australia ehh??? Well, these are similar but go up into the fender well. If you have never changed them, then by all means now maybe the time. Use what you have and get a rubber kit to go along with it. Your pic only showed the front ones, did the longer back once come as well? If so then just get the rubber kit.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

yup..i got a pair for the front and the rear.....i shall check them asap and the rubber kits as well...thanks for your help guys! champions!

Quick Reply: What part is this and where does it go? pics inside!