Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help me choose, opinions needed..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help me choose, opinions needed..

There is no way to prove that a 64-66 mustang is matching numbers. Ford lost the documents. And can someone confirm this, but I'm pretty sure than on the hipo motors have it stamped on the intake manifold.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:07 PM
r6allstar
1st Gear Member

hipomustang.com says that there isnt any stamping so I dont know
edit: also I just saw that Mustangs prior to 1968 don't have the VIN stamped into the engine block (except 289 HiPo models). http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...gs/index2.html
Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

#3 - No way.
#2 - Maybe, if you like red.
#1 - Looks like a good buy to me. Take it for a drive. I would try to get it for $6000 or less if you think its not worth the full price.

A word of advice:
Don't "settle" when you are making this decision. You mentioned that #3 was an option if the other two fell through. That is the wrong mindset. If you buy the only one that is available because your first choices don't pan out, you will regret it. Trust me. There are LOTS of these cars out there. And if there are only 3 in your area right now, check back on Craigslist in a month and the selection will be completely different. You should also consider being willing to travel to get the right car. You can get better deals sometimes and you will DEFINITELY have a lot better selection if you can shop in other markets.

Remember that when you are buying, money talks. For me when I found the 68 I wanted, he was asking 6900. I said on the phone, "If I were to show up with a cashiers check for 6500 tonight made out to you, would you take it?" He said that was the lowest he would go.
So I showed up with a cashiers check made out to the seller for 6500 (I also found my baby on Craigslist) and after driving her, she was the one. I had a REALLY good feeling about this one. So I gave him the check, he gave me the title, we did the paperwork and the car was mine that night. And it didnt slip out from under me, like the best ones all too often do.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 PM
r6allstar
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ldollar

#3 - No way.
#2 - Maybe, if you like red.
#1 - Looks like a good buy to me. Take it for a drive. I would try to get it for $6000 or less if you think its not worth the full price.

A word of advice:
Don't "settle" when you are making this decision. You mentioned that #3 was an option if the other two fell through. That is the wrong mindset. If you buy the only one that is available because your first choices don't pan out, you will regret it. Trust me. There are LOTS of these cars out there. And if there are only 3 in your area right now, check back on Craigslist in a month and the selection will be completely different. You should also consider being willing to travel to get the right car. You can get better deals sometimes and you will DEFINITELY have a lot better selection if you can shop in other markets.

Remember that when you are buying, money talks. For me when I found the 68 I wanted, he was asking 6900. I said on the phone, "If I were to show up with a cashiers check for 6500 tonight made out to you, would you take it?" He said that was the lowest he would go.
So I showed up with a cashiers check made out to the seller for 6500 (I also found my baby on Craigslist) and after driving her, she was the one. I had a REALLY good feeling about this one. So I gave him the check, he gave me the title, we did the paperwork and the car was mine that night. And it didnt slip out from under me, like the best ones all too often do.
you right, I wasnt really going to settle on the 3rd one, I guess it was just food for thought. Any good web-sites to find classic muscle cars for sale besides e-gay?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

out of those 3 i like #1 the best
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

ebay sketches me out for car purchases. that said, my brother bought an audi from a guy in seattle (he lived in Portland at the time) and went up there to pick it up. He bought it over two years ago for something like 7 grand and the blue book on it today is still almost 10k. So deals are out there.

Personally I would try to buy from someone locally. Obviously you have discovered Craigslist and I think that is the best thing to have swept across the country. 7-8 years ago I discovered Craigslist here in SF, where it started and I have literally used it for hundreds of transactions. (3 apartments, bought and sold 2 cars, selling tons of stuff, buying tons of stuff...including my Mustang!) But I know in certain areas, CL has not caught on as much.

There are some listings on cars.com, and there is some other site I came across recently... it was a site that harvested listings from Craigslist sites all across the country. It was just on this forum a few days ago...... see if I can find it......

Here it is, I thought it was really cool, check it out.
http://jaxed.com/cgi-bin/ms.cgi?veh=mustang
Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 AM
r6allstar
1st Gear Member

bad news, EDIT--->#2 wasnt as a HiPo (imagine that) so that drops its value in my book. ****, makes my decision a little tougher but I am not in a huge rush I guess.. thanks for the sites dollar, ill check em out today
Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I thought 2 was the Hi Po. Anyway, I would take #1 now.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

#1 was my first choice.. and still is! Now go buy it!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
r6allstar
1st Gear Member

leaning towards #1..does need body work though...no rust.
Info on#1:
rear ended once, new quarter skins(old ones underneath), new hood, and new fenders
leaking a little oil, not a big deal
not original color, interior was spray painted with a vinyl paint

like I said before, if I bought it for $5,500 and put $2,000 in body work into it would I be able to sell it and get my money out of it? not being all original like #2 is?

Quick Reply: Help me choose, opinions needed..