Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Almost "done"

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Almost "done"

Thanks for the compliments guys! It was a long time in the making (about one to two years total with a 13-year rest in the middle). The build started in '93 (24 years old)with the idea of a real street racer. I put in the full Global West suspension, auto to manual swap, large engine (at that time it was before the stroking took hold ) and Currie 9" rear. The recession/depression of the mid 90's forced me to park the car for awhile (and my '65 GT coupe too), remaining in hibernation even longer because I got bit by the Jeep rockcrawling bug. Last November when I brought it home (and parting with the coupe), I briefly flirted with rebuilding/stroking the 351W and finishing it as I originally intended.

I don't know if it was from too many brushes with stupidity as a youngster, growing old(er) or having four small children, but somewhere I decided that I'd rather it be more streetable and appear stock, though still be able to go fast and handle well (kind of a sleeper). I still listen to punk music so I knew I wasn't going to bring it back to A-code specs. The major deviations from truly appearing stock are the serpentine setup (already had it with the 351W that was from my Fox body), the lowered stance from the Global West and the addition of 3-point belts. Also, at the last moment I decided to paint it H-code Caspian Blue instead of the original Y-code Silver Blue. I've always preferred a bit darker blue and Silver Blue seemed to be a harder color to get right based on the examples I'd seen at the shows. Done right it looks fantastic, however, many just seemed 'off'.

Oh yeah, the wheels are 15x7 (4.25"BS)styled steel with 225/50's. I'd like a 60 series tires but I'm not sure if I'd have to switch to 215's to clear the front fenders. I'll have to see how it goes.

Jeff
Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Wow Jeff it came out really nice. You got that thing put together quick! The interior looks great as well. When mine is out of paint, want to come do mine?

Where'd you take the pics at? It almost seems obvious its off of PCH but I can't be 100%. On second thought thats probably not PCH lol.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4reboy

Wow Jeff it came out really nice. You got that thing put together quick! The interior looks great as well. When mine is out of paint, want to come do mine?

Where'd you take the pics at? It almost seems obvious its off of PCH but I can't be 100%. On second thought thats probably not PCH lol.
Thanks David. I cheated on the interior ... I took a week of "home vacation" and worked on it every day.

Some of the pics are at Trump National Golf Course and the others are on Paseo Del Mar in Palos Verdes Estates. It was my maiden drive around the peninsula and it was wonderful ... except those Magnaflows drove me crazy after awhile.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothand

Thanks David. I cheated on the interior ... I took a week of "home vacation" and worked on it every day.

Some of the pics are at Trump National Golf Course and the others are on Paseo Del Mar in Palos Verdes Estates. It was my maiden drive around the peninsula and it was wonderful ... except those Magnaflows drove me crazy after awhile.
Haha nice a 1 week vacation, too bad I can't do that with school [:@] I just hope my car is done by christmas break, I have 3 weeks off! Your interior did come out great though, I'm not usually fond of blue interiors but yours is very nice and goes well with the shade of blue you picked out.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 PM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

your car looks amazing. i cant wait to get a mustang, but i wont plan on selling it. think of how much your kid would appreciate it to have a car like that around years from now.