Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Almost "done"

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default Almost "done"

I say almost "done" because it is probably similar to my Jeep ... you are never done. Here is what it looked like when I pulled it out of storage after 10+ years.

Dad offering a little muscle removing the351W ...

Ford Racing crate motor installed (wanted more streetable ride) ...

Blasted and primed ...

Straight out of the body shop ...

Mostly "done" except for installation of front windshield trim and wipers. Although I recovered the seats prior to placing it in storage, they got a few stains on them from greasy parts so I'll likely do the sportseat conversion on them and add headrests. Other than that, I have to let the wallet cool off for awhile.

From start to finish, it took me about 9 months doing all the work myself except for the paint and body (I know my limits). The most difficult part of the build was dealing with the anxiety of the first crate motor leaking which couldn't be fixed which led to the purchase of the Ford Racing motor (what I should've done in the first place). The easiest part, well not really easy but far less difficult than I thought it would be was the headliner installation. It wasn't too bad. And, even though I already had boxes and boxes of uninstalled parts that I purchased in '94, I still spent a bloody fortune on parts in addition to the paint and body ($4600) and engine ($4100). I haven't added up the receipts, but it probably took $14K and a lot of blood sweat and tears to get it to this point. Frankly, I can't see how people can turn a profit on these things. Oh well, I feel cleansed now. Aside from the odometer that broke yesterday [:@], I can relax and enjoy it for a bit and encourage others from the sidelines.

To those on this boardwho helped me along the way (special props to Jim 66kgtfb), thank you. Now it is time to go reintroduce myself to the wife and kids.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Almost "done"

Great looking car Jeff!

Congradulations!

It must feel great to be "done"...

But what are you going to do with all of your spare time once your family gets tired of you?

I am seeing a new project in the future.....
Old 09-26-2007, 12:50 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Looks nice! Any dyno numbersyet?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

Very nice job! The first "done" is streetable. Unatainable "done" is dream compleated.
Now that your on the street & wallet is cooling, has your dream of the car Morphed any??
You have a very clean, restored look, something you'll stay with?? Or is the crate engine a pecursor to a more customized machine?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Your car is beautiful. I miss my 65 fastback sooooooo much. I can't believe how nice your car is. When you say you feel cleansed, I now know what you mean. I was thinking of the phrase, "my work is done here". I also know what you mean about the family. My wife always accused me of spending more time with "the other woman" than she. Now that I can't work on my car I bet she wishes I could be[8D].

I like the torque thrust wheels and a GT rocker stripe to break things up on a 65-66 fastabck. You have chosen an awesome color. I am very jealous. Please post more pics.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-26-2007, 02:21 PM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

Nice thanks for sharing!!!

i have a 68 coupe that i am trying to keep a secret from my wife until her 40th in June. Right now its in for paint and a little bodywork.
My budget is about 10K for paint, interior kit, moulding, front suspension rebuild, rear suspension rebuild and il thinking of doing the 5.0 EFI swap for my straight six right now. Looking at your price list looks like i might be right there.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Nice looking car! I love that blue that you picked out, great job.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:34 PM
6marc5
3rd Gear Member

Your car looks super clean. It is a very sharp color. I can't wait until my car is "done".
Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

All I can say is "Wow." That car looks incredible. Want to sell it? Haha, right. You need to take it on some nice winter drives up the coast. Enjoy!
Congrats.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

awesome work Jeff
Color is great and those styled steels look really good. Are they 7"? they look wider than usual or you've got more tyreon them than most.