Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

wilwood brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
MIKKO

Default wilwood brakes

Im thinking about buying willwood front and rear disk brake kitfor my 67 from hot rods usa.I was wondering if anyone used them or heard what they are like for a daily driver or are they mainly for racing.

thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: wilwood brakes

ORIGINAL: MIKKO

Im thinking about buying willwood front and rear disk brake kitfor my 67 from hot rods usa.I was wondering if anyone used them or heard what they are like for a daily driver or are they mainly for racing.

thanks
We used Willwoods on the front of the 66, they are excellent in fit, finish, and function. You will not be disapointed with them. They work great on our still seldom driven daily driver. The car is still in the works, so we only drive it a few times a week to clean out the carbon...

We also have Willwoods on the back of my son's truck, same thing perfect in fit, finish, and function, only thing is these are a little squeaky...

So I guess we have a full set of Willwoods, they are just on two different vehicles...
Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM
MIKKO

What company did you buy yours from. Im looking for a good dealer.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

What company did you buy yours from. Im looking for a good dealer.
We got the rears from Currie when we ordered the 9" axle for my younger son's truck, and my older son bought the fronts, and I don't know where he got them from..... so I am like no help whatsoever..
Old 10-04-2007, 04:38 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I'm running Wilwoods on the front of my 67 that I drive every day. The quality is excellent, as well as the performance and durability. They are noisier if you use higher performance(ie higher temp) brake pads, but it's a small tradeoff for excellent braking
Old 10-04-2007, 04:52 PM
MIKKO

Did you have to change the spindles. I have stock 6 cyl spindles. I was toldI had to change mine and they have 71-73 spindles.Im looking at a kit from Hot Rods USA and am not sure about the company.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The kit I got was for stock V8 spindles, I dunno if they have one that fits I6 spindles
Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Did you have to change the spindles. I have stock 6 cyl spindles. I was toldI had to change mine and they have 71-73 spindles.Im looking at a kit from Hot Rods USA and am not sure about the company.
As far as I know the 6 cyl spindles will not work. V-8 spindles that are the stock style for 66 will work, (I know)... they may not work with the specific kit you are looking at, but there is a willwood kit that will work.

I have heard that the 71 - 73 spindles are stronger than the earlier ones, but then I have never heard tale of an early spindle breaking....

We got our stock V-8 spindles over e-bay for $200....
Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 PM
MIKKO

Thanks for the info. I guess Im off to find some v8 spindles now. Will the v8 spindles of any year from 64 to 73 fit the rest of the steering.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I guess Im off to find some v8 spindles now. Will the v8 spindles of any year from 64 to 73 fit the rest of the steering.
I am going to have to leave that question to someone else, I know just enough to confuse the issue on this matter....

I do know that your 67 steering components do not need to be upgraded to "V-8" like in previous year Mustangs, as far as the interchangeability between years, I am not sure enough to give advise.

Anyone else???

Quick Reply: wilwood brakes