Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

seat belt laws?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 AM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

Default seat belt laws?

can anyone help me out i live in california and my mustang doesnt have seat belts in the back seat right now. some one told me at dmv that if the car doesnt have seat belts i cant get a ticket for people not wearing them in the back seat is this true?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: seat belt laws?

I believe that it varies by state. Call your local highway patrol and they should be able to tell you. I found this, but I am not sure how they would choose to enforce it.

Used Passenger Vehicles
27314.(a) No dealer shall sell or offer for sale any used passenger vehicle that was manufactured on or after January 1, 1962, other than a motorcycle, unless it is equipped with at least two seatbelts which are installed for the use of persons in the front seat of the vehicle.

(b) No dealer shall sell or offer for sale any used passenger vehicle manufactured on or after January 1, 1968, other than a motorcycle, unless it is equipped with seatbelts for each seating position.
(c) Seatbelts required in subdivisions (a) and (b) shall comply with regulations established by the department.
(d) The requirements of this section shall not apply to sales to dealers, automobile dismantlers, or junk dealers. [/align]Amended Ch. 723, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980. [/align]
Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If the car came from the factory with seat belts, then they must be in place. If your car did not come with seat belts then....GET SOME!!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

Yea it does vary. Florida does not require them to be worn in cars prior to 72( might be 73). I know the 60s stangs are exempt here
Old 10-04-2007, 11:33 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

I think it would be pretty stupid to drive people around in the back seat without giving them an option to wear a seatbelt. If your car was equipped with seatbelts in the rear when it was originally purchased, which it most likely was... a passenger who was killed in your backseat would easily translate to vehicular manslaughter charges which would be hard to defend against. Not to mention any emotional baggage that would come with making a decision that resulted in the death or serious injury of a friend or loved one.

Can't you attach the seatbelts and roll them up and stuff them into the cushion if you don't like the look?

Then again, if no one ever rides in the back seat, well you probably don't need to worry about it.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If the car didn't originally come with seatbelts, the govt can't require you to add them. That said, it's not a bad idea.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

California requires you maintain at a minimum the safety restraints the vehicle was originally manufactured with
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM
ky
America ftw

im in cali too, and from what ive heard, seat belt law only applies to cars 1972 and newer. im running no seat belt in my stang right now. my dad told me that we "technically" dont need belts in our 71 ford truck. but we have em anyways cause it feels kinda weird riding with no belts. i guess ill just find out if i get pulled over . according to 65stangFB, i guess cali and florida are the same.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

My 65 came with no seat belts, the guy who ordered the car selected the delete seatbelt option. Its really weird to drive without seat belts.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

If the car came from the factory with seat belts, then they must be in place. If your car did not come with seat belts then....GET SOME!!
i know i need to get some. i dont like to drive people around cause its not safe i just need to drive some people this weekend cause they cant get a ride with anyone else. i plan on getting some i just need to get some money first. thanks for all your replies

Quick Reply: seat belt laws?