Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Firing order

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 AM
krobillard
1st Gear Member

Default Firing order

How many different firing order does a 302 have. My intake has the same order as my book and it is not correct. I'm the one with back firing issues after rebuilding my engine. We first thought it the timing chain/cam combo, we pulled the timing cover off to check, and everything is lined up correctly, so now we are thing the firing order is off somewere. We were going to check each piston/value changeturning the engine maually and compare it to the distributor number, starting with number 1.
THanks
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Firing order

Assuming you tried "15426378", you could always try "13726548" - which is the standard for the 351.

Refresh us of your engine...did you replace your cam? What year is your engine?

Lastly, I think I may remember that there was an alternate firing order for the 302...was it on the hi-po maybe? I'll have to check my books when I get home for you.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

There are two, the standard small block firning order and the windsor firing order. The windsor order is used on the late model 5 liter engines also. If you have a late model cam use the windsor firing order.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

You know, I had the same problem with mine.. Does yours start and then backfire or are you just shooting gas out of the intake, and flames out of the exhaust everytime you turn the key.. If thats whats happening then your timing is most likely 180 out.. Pull the distributor and turn the rotor to exactly oposite of where it was pointing and drop it back in.. another thing might be that you are one off on your dissy.. you may need to pull it out and rotate it counter clockwise one tooth so that when it seats to the gear it turns and points to the correct cylinder..
Old 10-04-2007, 12:14 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8is 351W/302HO and 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8 is standard 289/302
Old 10-04-2007, 03:44 PM
krobillard
1st Gear Member

I bought the car last year, not sure what year the 302 engine is, I only know it has the stamp of 302 on top, and has 289 heads. The block is bored .40 and had the heads reserviced, with new seats and values, the block was honed, with new psitons and mild cam, all new other parts. I can not tell what year block I have.
Thanks for all the help.
We have drop the dizzy in twice, another question is I always thought the rotor had to face the number piston and it does not, I do have the plug wire going to dist hole that is lined up with rotor even though it is not facing the number piston.
THanks
Old 10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

It doesn't matter which way the rotor points, only that the cap post it points to is where you hook up the number 1 wire. You can't remove and reset your distributor 1 tooth off, the oil pump drive would not line up (unless you turned it too). If the distributor is in and the oil pump drive is properly connected, get the engine to TDC on the compression stroke of #1, note where the rotor is pointing (which post of the cap) and start there.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM
krobillard
1st Gear Member

Yes, that is what we done.
Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 05:02 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

It doesn't matter which way the rotor points, only that the cap post it points to is where you hook up the number 1 wire. You can't remove and reset your distributor 1 tooth off, the oil pump drive would not line up (unless you turned it too). If the distributor is in and the oil pump drive is properly connected, get the engine to TDC on the compression stroke of #1, note where the rotor is pointing (which post of the cap) and start there.
I was just saying that if the dizzy was 180 out, he could easily just point the rotor in the oposite direction that it was pointing by pulling it up instead of finding tdc and then spining the rotor and putting it back in on #1.. Only if you actually had it timed to the correct exhaust stroke..Whatever you want to do though..
Old 10-18-2007, 07:34 AM
krobillard
1st Gear Member

1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8is 351W/302HO
This was the firing that worked? and anybody give some insight as to why my 302 would have used this order vs the standard 289/302?
My mechanic said it was probably the cam I bought changed it.
It finally running now, I'm happy.

Quick Reply: Firing order