Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Too much....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:04 AM
69stang390
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Too much....

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

If you don't like the shift kit you can just have the valve body replaced, not the whole transmission. You will save a ton of money. As a matter of fact, you may find another person wanting the shift kit and do the swap for you for nothing. Shift kits are desirable for performance upgrades. It sounds like you should try the modulator first. A shift kit should just deliver a firmer shift.
[align=left][/align]
Ok, give me a little more detail please. How do i adjust the trans to make it shift at lower RPMS? Do i just take the modulator out of the trans, stick a screwdriver in and rotate ? I know it cant be that easy, thats why im asking.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:05 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Leave that carb on and let them tune it. It not too big.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-07-2007, 11:16 AM
69stang390
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, you are a life saver. After i get it dyno tuned tommorrow i will post the results.

Should i get a condensor for the Mallory ignition system?
How do i adjust the trans to shift at lower rpms?

Please know that im not trying to take an easy way out. My shop manuals and carb book still hasnt arrived.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:46 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

The condensor is part of a functioning system. Maybe that is something one of your brother's friends messed with. Unless it is part of an older system and the Mallory has it's own then maybe it's supposed to be disabled. I can't say without seeing it. The engine wouldn't run without it if it were neccessary for the ignition. Is it duel points? Or electronic ignition? Let the tuners make the neccarry adjustments and recommendations. It sounds like you are chasing your tail in a circle. Take a deep breath and get a good nights sleep knowing that a pro will solve your problems. You have a whole lifetime to learn about your car. Just get her running and performing for now.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 AM
69stang390
1st Gear Member

Well said, thank you.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

I am with VF on this one. I am really looking forward to hearing the results of your dyno tune. I am going in on Tueday to get mine done. From the frustrations you have described, you and I sound like we are on a very similar page with our learning curve about these cars. It can be very frustrating and I dont know what I would do without all the cool cats on this website. Good luck! Soon that car is going to be running better than ever... mine too!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:27 PM
69stang390
1st Gear Member

BTW...after looking through over 500+ reciepts, i finally came across the holley carb part number. Apparently it does have vaccuum secondary. How do adjust the throttle and vaccuum? I dont plan on doing it, but i need to have an idea for tommorrow. Thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 05:43 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Holley sells a spring kit that has like 7 or 8 springs of different tension, by putting a heavier spring in the secondary vacuum diaphragm housing you cause the secondaries to open more slowly, a lighter spring they open more rapidly. Your problems don't sound like it's too big of a carb, if it were the car would just be a pig non stop until you got to a certain rpm, then power would pick up. What you're describing sounds like classic poor tuning of the accelerator circuit(you're describing a throttle response problem, not a power problem), either your secondary spring is too light, your pump shot is too small, or a bit of both. Or, your pump shot COULD be too big, but it would have to be REALLY big to bog like that. Do you see a puff of black smoke out the back when you step on it, or have fouled spark plugs? My guess is that it's prolly a mix of too small a pump shot and too rapid a secondary opening
Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 PM
69stang390
1st Gear Member

I cant find the reciept for the distributor. How do i find out which one i have ?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It should have a part number on it somewhere, something that id's it

Quick Reply: Too much....