Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

neeed mustang help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: neeed mustang help

He's not too cool if he can't back his build. No matter where you live he should get his old *** over there and help you out. I know what a 347 costs to build and it ain't cheap.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-10-2007, 02:50 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

only thing there that can leak is rear main or pan.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

I'm not positive, but aren't there two lifter galley and a cam bore plug on the back of the block? you may have to pull the engine or trans and look there.[:'(] It seems as if you've checked everywhere else and that's the only thing I can think of that's left that may cause your problem. I only wish I could think of something else that was easier. [>:]
Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Man that sucks to hear about all of your problems. I hate to hear that you got your new engine all ready to go and it is leaking! As I read through the posts, I came across this idear. I'm not an engine pro, but since you are thinking about pulling the engine anyways, pull it and run it out of the car to see where in the hell the leak is coming from. That way, you have 360 degrees visually and not trying to use mirrors or fingertips. Just a thought.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iamdiffrnt

I'm not positive, but aren't there two lifter galley and a cam bore plug on the back of the block? you may have to pull the engine or trans and look there.[:'(] It seems as if you've checked everywhere else and that's the only thing I can think of that's left that may cause your problem. I only wish I could think of something else that was easier. [>:]
+1 that could explain a lot.... lots of oil available to leak here....
Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iamdiffrnt

are u talkin about the circle plugs in the block.... IM REALLY REALLY LEANING TOWARD THE OIL PAN.. BUT ITS HARD TO FINALLY SET IT ON THAT BECUASE I CHANGED FROM CORK TO RUBBER AND IT STILL LEAKS.. COULD THE OIL PAN JUSS BE NOT ON STR8 OR SOEMTHING IN THAT CORNER...THE GUYS COMING ON MONDAY..BUT IM DOUBTFUL ON WHAT HE COULD DO....IM SURE HES GONNA ASK ME TO JUSS GIVE HIM THE ENGINE BACK.... BUT I NEED TO FIND A TRUCK TO HAUL IT OVER TO HIM.. LOL.. BUT SERIOUSLY THIS IS ON WEIRD LEAK.. I HAVE SUCH BAD LUCK...
Old 10-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Jaded
2nd Gear Member

Dang, I thought JMD had it dead, I've seen that rear manifold leak several times before.

Vikefan, hey man, we were all young once. I learned from a guy who used to give me misleading advice to make me think, and recognise BS. Heh, muffler bearings and semi-automatic transmissions.

I just don't think it's a rear main seal, because it's dripping DOWN the block. The galley plugs make sense to me just because they aren't always checked. One other thing is the Crankcase breather. If it is the hose type that goes to the back of the carb from the passenger side valve cover, they sometimes stick open and suck oil then actually drip. Usually this leaves the whole engine covered with oil, but I've seen just one, where the drip was from the hose, and this created a mysterious puddle.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 PM
dgulian
1st Gear Member

I am really a chevy guy (45 years)new to fords but I have seen people over tighten oil pans. Pull the pan and make sure the bolt areas are flat and not pulled into the gasket surface, The rear gally plugs are a source but if the guy did a Hi Po 347 bulid he should have tapped them and screwed in plugs, One other wierd one I have seen is leaking from the head gasket by way of the rocker oil return. I would use caution with this builder. He has caused the problem, He should supply transport for repair of his work. And yes the rear of the intake could be the problem and this is the one I lean toward but the oil pan face would be number 2.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

dgulian has a point, a lot of people overtighten oil pan gaskets. I always use a 1/4" drive ratchet to keep me from cranking too hard. With a cork gasket, tighten until the gasket just starts to bulge, then stop. If it bulges too much, it'll leak.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:48 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

use the one piece oil pan gasket from felpro part # os34508r, 87-92 5.0, it's solid rubber with formed shims to prevent over-tightening the pan.was incredibly easy to put in and no worry on the leaks. I've seen prices ranging from $18 to $30. any normal parts place would carry it.

Quick Reply: neeed mustang help