Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

please read i need your help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

Default please read i need your help

i know i have had alot of posts with questions about 408 strokers, but i have been reconsidering. i am human and when it comes to my car all i think about is more power (thus the questions about408). but if i don't want to spend the money to build a 408, since i dohavemy 302 with less than 1000 miles on the rebuild,can i build my302 to have.....youknow.....enough oomf?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:35 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: please read i need your help

Of course you can!! Hot rod that thing, you will be more than happy...

If I would have had a rebuilt 302, my son's 66 would have a 302 now.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

A 302 can be made to make LOTS of power, just depends on how much you want to spend. Since you were thinking about a 408 stroker, I'm guessing you have the funds set aside.

I'm not a racer, but there are guys on here that are and can help you make all the power you want, just be careful, transmission and rearend can't take any 750 HP or anything like that. I hear that the stock rearend can handle ~300 lb. ft. of torque, above that you have to upgrade.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

i plan i gettinga 9" rear from perogie enterprises, i dont know if i can trust them or notso if you have any experiance with them or know someone who does advise would be more than appreciated. when i was planning onbuilding a 408 i was going to go with a tremec tko 600, but since i ammore than likely going to build my 302 nowi am probably goingto gowith the tko 500. by the way i don't have the funds yet but next summer i am going to get a full time job....hopefully . so it is not going to be until the end of next summer that i am shooting to start my build.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

Slow down Mustang. Is this your first car? Youu have been jumping about for weeks with this, chasing diffs and engine combos. Have you got any plans for breaks cahssis and suspension improvements? Give us some info on your car, what it has already had done to it, and what you want from it. From there the guys here can guide you properly.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

i already have disc brakes up front, and i plan on doing some suspension upgrades, but i'm not exatly sure what. and yes it's my first car .
Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

You didn't answer the key question. What do you want from the car?
ie - weekend bruiser, daily driver, track warrior?
these all require different setups.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

a fast daily driver, and i don't think i mentioned that i want over 300hp. i want something that'll burn the tires real good.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

First off, forget about a horse power figure. Its irrelevetn how much horse power it has. You want t=a fast daily driver that will burn rubber? A MILD 302 will do that.
For a daily driver, you want good streetability. Most people have no idea waht its like to live with a wild motor in a street car, doing the day to day thing, and once thay find out, it costs more to either tame things down, or fix every week link, over and over.
With this being your first car, just get a good rebuild on your 302. have a look at 67mustang302s combo. I can guarantee that you would **** you pants in with that setup. Spend some money on suspension upgrades, make sure your brakes are good. Install three point belts, and learn to drive that car.
If you had a wild 408 as your first car, Idgive you a weekbefore you either killed the car or yourself.Theres plenty of time to get a wild setup later, and preferably have it as your play car, that ggets its workout on the track, not the street.
Just take it easy.
BTW, with a good rebuild on a 302 in an early mustang, you will blow most other cars off the road.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

see that's the thing, i don't want people to look at my car and say "oh wow, all he has is a 302", you know. is it a respectable engine that'll sound beefy and shake the ground to the point that people will hear me comin from down the road? sorry about all these questions but i am a newby.
i'm thinking abouttakeing my 302 down to the block and build it from there, does that sound good or not?

Quick Reply: please read i need your help