Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

monte carlo bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 PM
JamesW

Default RE: monte carlo bars

The bars are ordered in 1" increments - premade: From here

The Heim joints are from here

And thefenderwall attachments were angle iron I bought at the hardware store and shaped with a hand grinder.

This was a one day project.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

anyone ever have issues where the monte carlo bar is too wide for the shock tower holes? I got mine from mustang plus with the export bar and both seem about 1/2-1" too wide for my shock towers. anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 AM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

On my first 66 coupe, I boughtmine from Tony D. Branda and it fit similar to yours. When I called them they told me the same thing 6marc5 posted. Jack up one side until you can bolt it on and repeat on the other side. The reason they gave me was due to the car settling from the weightof the engine on the motor mountsand throughthe shock towers. When the car was new it would have been a lot easier to install.

I would wait till you have it off the rotisserie and give it a try since you got it for free.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:36 AM
project.65
1st Gear Member

just curious, is there a certain place i should jack the car up? would it be better to do one side at a time or have the whole front lifted at once?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:38 AM
zuluracerx
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JamesW

The bars are ordered in 1" increments - premade: From here

The Heim joints are from here

And thefenderwall attachments were angle iron I bought at the hardware store and shaped with a hand grinder.

This was a one day project.

Thanks for the link James. I have the entire TCP setup that I must modify to clear my blower and GT40 intake on my '66. Problem is when I bend the MC bar to clear the blower, it is too short. Now I know where TCP gets them and can simply order a slightly longer bar, bend it, fit it and presto it should work like a charm! I can feel the towers move in hard corners and really need to complete this project. Thanks again!
Old 10-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

It is not a rotisserie issue. I put my export brace on first with no issues. I thought I would have to turn the car in different dirrections to get it to fit. Not the case. Problem was that they welded the flanges on wrong(too much of an angle) Can be fixed if you want to bang it out or cut it. I just dont want a chrome piece that will be right on top of the motor to be beat up. If I wanted to weld it and paint it it would be great but since I have a chrom export brace a painted mone carlo bar would look like **** IMO. Ill sell it on craigs list to help pay for the proper one.