Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Painting a 1966 grill

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:16 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

Default Painting a 1966 grill

The grill has 3 edges/sides to it-front,back and in between......I know the front stays chrome,and the back is sprayed black...when you spray the back does the "in between part" get sprayed or stays chrome...
the bracket holding the pony on goes black and argent inside the pony corralcorrect?

just a little confused on how much of the back is black thanks scott
Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Painting a 1966 grill

I'm not sure what you mean by "the in between part" but the only parts of the grille that're chrome are the horizontal leading edges.

Argent works inside the corral.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sixtysix

The grill has 3 edges/sides to it-front,back and in between......I know the front stays chrome,and the back is sprayed black...when you spray the back does the "in between part" get sprayed or stays chrome...
the bracket holding the pony on goes black and argent inside the pony corralcorrect?

just a little confused on how much of the back is black thanks scott
IDK,,, our 66 grille was all black, front and back......
Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

The "in between part " is the space between the front edge and the back edge....any part thats not the front surface or back surface...kind of like the thickness of the grill.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

By the way my car is a convertible..I think the GT had all or more black on the grill. Thanks Scott
Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

The thickness is black.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 AM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

The thin front edges of each grill fin are silver, polished aluminum I believe. the fins themselves are satin black.
The surround has a chrome outer lip, and the inner recessed part of the surround is silver paint.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 AM
mushaus
1st Gear Member

When I painted mine recently....I painted the front and in between withsemi-gloss black. I then used a razor to remove the new paint from the front edges.I didn't think that I would be able to mask thefront edges since they are so small.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the input-so it sounds likeI can paint the whole grill black and then just lightly sand the front edge back to the silver aluminum.
I will mask the top and bottom edges of the grill too.

pony corral will be painted argent on the inside
chrome trim recessed area painted argent in the middle area.
thanks Scott
Old 10-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

thanks for the input-so it sounds likeI can paint the whole grill black and then just lightly sand the front edge back to the silver aluminum.
I will mask the top and bottom edges of the grill too.
I'm not so sure that front edge silver will hold up to sandpaper. A better way is to wipe the edge with a rag dipped in paint thinner and tightly wrapped around the tip of your finger. Do this while the paint is still tacky and turn the rag often, (if you roll your finger you will present a clean area of rag as you go along.) Be careful not to let the rag touch anywhere else.

Why must you mask the top and bottom edge? Except for the front edges the whole grille is semi gloss black.

Hold the presses.
I just noticed your car is a GT. There's a lot of debate about GT grilles. Some people say they're the same as a regular Mustang and have the silver front edges. Sone people say the whole grille was black, even the edges. When I was a boy I remember seeing more than one GT with an all black grille. Now whether the owners or the factory painted them I don't know. But I know I saw them, and they were new cars at the time, so my GT has an all black grille.

Quick Reply: Painting a 1966 grill