Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

4 point harness?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

Default 4 point harness?

i help my friend clean out his garage and came across 4 4 point harnesses, i plan on putting 2 of them in in back seat anyone seen that done before, have pictures? and can i put 2 of them int he front seat with out using a roll cage to mount them to?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 4 point harness?

Just use two in the front, and ill take the other two...[sm=happybounce.gif]
Old 10-16-2007, 05:26 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

hahaha he said u can get them really cheap on ebay. so anyone know how id ount them in the front without a roll cage?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:25 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

you need a roll cage with a harness bar to mount them right.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You should at least have a properly braced roll bar before you use a harness for at least one other reason, especially in these older cars. OE seatbelts and seatbelt/shoulder harness combinations allow your upper body to move laterally and downward in the event of a rollover. A harness will keep you upright, which will load your spine as if it were theroll bar should you roll the car while harnessed in.

Norm
Old 10-18-2007, 01:37 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

what about for the back seat? i dont have any speaker and i have 4 speaker wholes that i was going to put them down and just mount them to the frame or put a rail in across the trunk
Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

You should at least have a properly braced roll bar before you use a harness for at least one other reason, especially in these older cars. OE seatbelts and seatbelt/shoulder harness combinations allow your upper body to move laterally and downward in the event of a rollover. A harness will keep you upright, which will load your spine as if it were theroll bar should you roll the car while harnessed in.

Norm
Whats holding you from sliding in a 4 point? The lateral part makes sense, but not the down ward. You have the same belt going across as you would with a 3 point or traditional lap. I am curious to everyones response because I was looking into this. I dont want to eat my wheel.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You need the 5th point to remove the downward motion.

You can floor mount the shoulder harnesses, but you need the stress point above your shoulders to keep from breaking your collar bone in a minor accident. The should straps will only keep you from going forward, the lap belt keeps you in your seat in a roll-over, the 5th point is the one that keeps you from submarining. Install a halo bar and some strong points along the floor.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Colorado theres a angle limit on the shoulder straps from the seat to the mount.Its all on the box i seen more installed wrong then right.Do it right or mess up your back in a wreck.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Yep. Pretty much what I was talking about. Mine are designed to be mounted to the floor or to a roll bar located at the shoulder blade level. Either still needs an upper pivot point above the shoulder in order to work correctly...per the instructions that came with the belts. These are RCI units in my F250.

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

Colorado theres a angle limit on the shoulder straps from the seat to the mount.Its all on the box i seen more installed wrong then right.Do it right or mess up your back in a wreck.

Quick Reply: 4 point harness?