Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Default Motor Question

Guys,

This is where I need the most guidance.

If you look at my other post you can see pics of the pistons and heads. https://mustangforums.com/m_4028621/tm.htm

I am planning on rebuilding the engine and would like to make around 300 hp.

I have the opportunity to buy a dissasembled roller short block for around $75. The owner says it needs a rebuild and that the number 8 piston has a cracked skirt. Would it be worth buying the roller block and rebuilding that for my mustang? I am trying to keep the budget as low as possible but want decent power.

Even though they are not forged, if my 302 non-roller pistons are in good shape, could I use those in the roller motor? I'm planning on using my 289 heads and getting a mild port and polish, or at least a valve job. (You look at the pics in the above post and tell me what I need)

I consider myself competent when it comes to engines, but I have never had one rebuilt or built one myself.

Thanks,

Parker
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default RE: Motor Question

i dont like the idea of anything cracked internally on a motor, it means something is now weak and will break easier down the road. i would personally go to a junkyard and buy the complete engine and rebuild from their, its safer that way, and now you have all the pieces as well.its hard to beat a complete engine for 300-400 bucks. and then you can rebuild it put a stronger cam 4bbl holley 600cfm and better flowing head or port the ones you got sell the origional pistons and put that money toward aftermarket high comp pistons and that should get you close to you 300 hp goal.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Wouldnt you replace the pistons in a rebuild anyway... I would go for it and build a mean roller motor..
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boogerschnot

Wouldnt you replace the pistons in a rebuild anyway... I would go for it and build a mean roller motor..
The rebuild kits with pistons are only around $500 from summit. I would really like the extra power and smoothness from the roller motor.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Could I make 300hp on a flat tappet motor with an upgraded cam and a mild port and polish on the heads.

If this rebuild stuff starts getting too expensive I'll just have to wait a year and buy the 347 stroker from t and l.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal

Could I make 300hp on a flat tappet motor with an upgraded cam and a mild port and polish on the heads.

If this rebuild stuff starts getting too expensive I'll just have to wait a year and buy the 347 stroker from t and l.
Easily ... Have you decided on an intake & headers?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

I already have a performer rpm intake maniforld, hedman long tube headers, and a holly 600 cfm vac secondaries carb.

I was planning on just getting the block tanked and inspected, and rebuilding it.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

Thats awesome ... sounds like your well on your way!

Keep us posted!
-Hawkins
Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

The block magnaflux should only cost about 60 bucks and usually if they find that it needs work, they will deduct the cost of the inspection.. My rebuild cost about 1300 total..
Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Nooooooooo! Do not buy a block with a cracked skirt! That block is toast, find another.

Quick Reply: Motor Question