Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

SSBC Brakes... or maybe no

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:31 AM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

Default SSBC Brakes... or maybe no

I know quite a few of you have the SSBC brake kit, or have upgraded to another brand, and I had a few questions. The SSBC kit seems to be one of the better deals on the market, at least one of the larger companies. I've seen the kits that utilize stock disc components. They seem reasonably priced, but I just get a better feeling about the SSBC kits. They just seem like a better quality to me. Maybe you guys can convince me otherwise. Some of the questions I have are...

1. What is the general consensus on this kit? Good, bad, just okay...

2. What do you think is the better option - sticking with manual (disc w/dual chamber m/c), or go with power? I only ask because...
a) I understand it's a tough squeeze into a 66
b)power isn't something really necessary, in fact a lot of people seem to prefer manual as it has "a better feel"
c) you may have to change the pedal pivot point or something? I'm unsure about that one. SSBC offers a power "bolt-on" kit that
doesn'tmention anything about changing the pedal's pivot point. Other kits I've seen say you DO have to change the pivot point.

3.What about replacement parts? When I wear out my rotors/pads, am I able to drive to Autozone and pick up some new ones? If so, what year/brand/make/etc. of car rotor am I asking for? Or do I have to order them from SSBC? I don't really like the thought of having to special order parts direct from the company. What if SSBC goes under, then what?

I appreciate your guy's input as the brakes are going to be my next project. I plan on putting in new hardlines, upgrading to disc, dual-chamber master cyclinder, and possibly power. I currently have a 66 coupe with stock drums, single chamber m/c, 15 in. rims.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:48 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: SSBC Brakes... or maybe no

Id look at http://www.mustangsteve.com/BRAKES.html and http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html
Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 AM
fordoldies
1st Gear Member

I've upgraded several of my rides with SSBC brakes. Good product and easy installation. Replacement parts have been easy to find. Their basic kit usually ibuilt around later model musatng backes. I just got done doing my '69 and the parts used in the kit were from a '84 to '86 SVO, which replacement parts can be purchased at any local auto parts store.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 AM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

I've seen his website. I've done a bit of homework (Master Power, Scott Drake,Wilwood, discbrakeswap.com, Rod and Custom, etc.), so I'm aware of the different options.I think I've decided on the SSBC kit, but thequestions I had above we're the questions I didn't find an answer to online. I'm not opposed to using another kit, maybe someone here can convince me to go another route. The "revised pedal ratio" in Mustang Steve's kit was what had me wondering why no other bolt on kit mentions anything about it. So far Mustang Steve's, and I think one other kit, are the only kits I've seen that say anything about a revised pedal ratio. I'm sure I could go with just about any of those kits (maybe not Scott Drake... haha) and be perfectly happy, but I'd like to know what you guys think is the best kit. I'll take your post as a vote for Mustang Steve. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:07 AM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

thanks Fordoldies! Thats exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. So did the kit tell you what year of vehicle to look at for replacement parts?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

If it's a street car, I'd go with www.discbrakeswap.com , in fact I did. I think the SSBC kit is overkill for a sub-3K lb. car, and way more expensive. Replacement parts are easy with the kit, it comes with part numbers and year/make/model designations so you can get parts anywhere.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
fordoldies
1st Gear Member

I had the same questions you did when I started on my brakes. I wanted a disc verses a drum set-up, and most parts outfits were selling the SSBC kits. I went on-line and found that SSBC had a sale on their conversion kit that upgraded their kit with slotted rotors.

When I ordered their kit, I asked about replacement parts and they informed me that their systems are based on late model applications. On my particular application it was a mid 80’s SVO. I know there are less expensive kits out there, even some that require you to go junkyard shopping. But the SSBC kits are complete, good instructions, easy install, and most of all, gives you plenty of stopping power.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

I think they are a little proud of their product. They aren't anything special to be charging that much. You can get brand new granada brakes (including the MC and pushrod) for much less and even comes with a new spindle so you don't have to use your original 40 year old version. It even has a revised geometry for the 65-66 to better bump steer.
The power depends in the style booster you get. The stock style will require a pedal change. The coversion units like we sell do not.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure which kit others are talking about, but my SSBC kit is essentially a copy of the factory disc brakes. They've done a few nice things like update to stainless steel pistons (no sticking) and an adjustable proportioning valve. It uses stock pads, rotors, bearings etc. and does a fine job stopping the car.

Mustang Steve's brakes look awesome but will require larger wheels. Contrary to popular belief, the SSBC kit will fit just fine with most 14" wheels. It is certainly not the cheapest option out there but it looks and works well. I originally installed it with a stock replacement single reservoir MC but have since upgraded to a dual reservoir Maverick MC. I'm pretty sure you can now order the kit with the dual MC. If you want power brakes, Mustang Steve's power conversion will work with this system.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 10-25-2007, 04:40 PM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm thinking I don't have a whole lot to worry about when it comes to replacing parts with these kits. Just wanted to ask the question though rather than assume and get dissapointed later down the road. Didn't get much feedback regarding power or sticking with non-power though. It looks like a lot of you didn't go with the power. I'm good with that, hell my last two Mustangs haven't had power and I've been fine. The biggest issue I have with the drums is the fade. Discs should fix that, and like Gothand mentioned, I could always add a power system to these kits later on. Thanks again for the feedback!

Quick Reply: SSBC Brakes... or maybe no