Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

Default help

Hello. I didnt really know what section to post in so i just posted on here. I am doing my senior project on American Muscle Cars. I am stuck on the last page of my research paper. I have to write about why they are uniquely american. Ive tried looking on google and couldnt find anything. Im not saying to write it for me but just wonder if you guys can help me by posting links or something. And to who ever posts info or links i really appreciate it.

Why Uniquely American?
* economics
* social/culture

Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
dirtydave289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: help

Well if I were writing it I'd say something along the lines of them being American because of the large displacement engines that people put in them
Old 11-05-2007, 07:00 PM
kaiser18
1st Gear Member

Being a young Canadian guy, iam not sure I should be opening my mouth. But I think the social/culture aspect is a very strong point as to why American muscle cars are unique. At no other point in history were mopar/ford/chevy guys at each others throats more so then the years of the muscle car. Nowadays its all American muscle cars united V.S. Asian imports (ricers)..... well not always united...Some of the older guys are still kicking.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:55 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Dont forget the Canadian muscle cars.
You guys had the same cars by different names do a search to find out.
Pontiac did for sure and I think you guys had a chevy Nova there in the 60s but it had a different name.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 PM
fordoldies
1st Gear Member

American muscle cars of the sixties and early seventies were the peak of the large displacement engines and heavy metal cars. Every since Henry Ford first rolled out the first assembly line car, Americans began to modify their rides to go faster. In the 50’s, car manufacturers and small “Hot Rod” shops began fabricating and R&D engine modifications that took Americans by storm. Boulevard cruising and back street racing had now spread from coast to coast. American car manufacturers was feeding this frenzy with bigger displacements and better handling vehicles. In the mid sixties muscle cars were still a boulevard cruiser, but most of the street racing had moved to the drag strips. By the early seventies, as displacement of engines grew to its peak, Federal laws, insurance companies, and higher gas prices made way to the lighter better gas mileage cars from over seas. So to answer your question, muscle cars was a social culture, and economics almost killed it.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 PM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

sorry to bug but. Why do you guys think muscle cars are brought back of interest and restoration?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Some people like me grew up around them my dad had a mustang uncles had camaros few mopars.I have a 68 mustang i love the lines and desgin of the early mustangs but made it kinds modern.You can look at some of the street rods there older guys in there 60s and now finaly can have the dream car of there child hood.Theres many reasons to own one some do for a investment some because they like or love them or just want to be different.Do you know a mustang isnt a muscle car right its a pony car same thing as the camaro nova firebird the e body mopars.Musle means 2 door seats 4 with 300hp or more in a midsize car from the 60s to early 70s.