Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bad Wheel hop..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 PM
restomod@16
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Bad Wheel hop..

traction bars are your best bet
Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

Subframe connectorshave nothing to do with wheel hop. Traction Masters traction bars are a great addition and were stock on all Shelby cars. Unlike the crappy bolt-on deals, they eliminate wheel hop without affecting ride quality and handling.
I don't want to seem like I'm arguing, I'm looking for info. I was always told that subframe connectors joine the front frame rails and rear frame rails which stiffened the body to improve handling and prevent the unibody from torquing to prevent the wheel hop. Can you educate me on the correct way?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM
opie2@aol.com
1st Gear Member

If your shocks are old and worn, replace them first!!!! Traction bars won't make up for worn suspension compenents.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Stiffer springs will stop the wheel hop also. They won't wrap up as easily. I was going to put both the springs and traction bars on my car to cure the hop. I got the springs from Global West and the salesman said try just the springs first. He was right. No more hop.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
middiepride
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

ORIGINAL: Starfury

Subframe connectorshave nothing to do with wheel hop. Traction Masters traction bars are a great addition and were stock on all Shelby cars. Unlike the crappy bolt-on deals, they eliminate wheel hop without affecting ride quality and handling.
I don't want to seem like I'm arguing, I'm looking for info. I was always told that subframe connectors joine the front frame rails and rear frame rails which stiffened the body to improve handling and prevent the unibody from torquing to prevent the wheel hop. Can you educate me on the correct way?
its not the body torqueing, its the actual leaf springs

the torque tries to turn the differential, and its load is put through the leaf springs, turning them a bit but with obvious great force and then when the load snaps back, it breaks the tires loose, literallymaking them like skip
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PappaSmurf

as far as? Suspension? Stock ***, squeekyleaf springs and some nasty looking shocks. I have some pretty massive rear tires. they are 295/50/15. and they hop all over the place.
Whats stopping your tyres from hitting the rear guards? From your pic, and the size, they must be sticking out of the guard by about 3 inches!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Guard? You mean fender lip? Those tires are similar in height to what you'll find on most Mustang model years (expect the 65/66, 74-78, and 05+). The rear height is not stock on the red Mustang pictured, it definitely has had some work done to the rear suspension, which may be contributing to the wheel hop.

Traction bars would be second on my list after a good set of shocks and springs/shackles.
ORIGINAL: fast66

ORIGINAL: PappaSmurf

as far as? Suspension? Stock ***, squeekyleaf springs and some nasty looking shocks. I have some pretty massive rear tires. they are 295/50/15. and they hop all over the place.
Whats stopping your tyres from hitting the rear guards? From your pic, and the size, they must be sticking out of the guard by about 3 inches!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Traction bars at the least. If the springs are worn out, no amount of traction device will keep the springs from oscillating though. So it may need stiffer springs, it really depends on how much power you're putting down. Start with good shocks, then add some traction bars. If it still hops, then you'll need stiffer springs. If you go to the track regularly and REALLY want your car to hook, then get Competition Engineering's Slide-A-Link traction bars. They're exepensive, but you're not gonna get better traction than that unless you go to a 4-link
Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Ill give it my best shot from my knowledge of the matter.
I researched this quite a bit before i built mine.
As the wheel tuns forward the rear end pinion angle nose rotates up.
it actually bends the leafsprings.
Then the spring resist and the spring straightens out and bounces the weight off the ground.
Thus wheel hop. More power more throttle more hop.
The TRACTION MASTER bars are the shelby type that mounts to a plate under the center of the axle beneath the leafsprings.
The other is mounted to a point further ahead on the frame. This creats a triangle effect the strongest form of bracing,
according to my know it all structural engineer brother in law. lol
As the rearend trys to bend the spring the force is now pushed to the lowest point the bar pivot.
The force cant bend the springs as much and re-directs a large amount down. So now it is pushing down and planting your wheels.

I have the Grab a track 5 leaf mid-eye springs on mine they said you dont need the traction bars with those.
Since i should be high 5 to 600 hp @ the rear wheels i put on Traction master Shelby bars also.
Should hook up all of this is theory untill I take it out on the dyno anyway.

Smarter better informed members correct me if im not on spot with this.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

4 link FTW!!!! You simply can't beat changing the instant center for traction

Quick Reply: Bad Wheel hop..