Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

bad, bad mpg problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default RE: bad, bad mpg problem...

i had the same problem
carb
timing
plugs
rings
just rebuild it, and buy new fuel pumps and flush the lines. that should clear anything up.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Probably a bad carb (it should be a 1bbl not a 2 bbl) but you might want to check the fuel filter and air filter for being clogged before you plop down the cash for a carb.And like the others suggested, it may be time for a tune up , do a compression check just to gauge your engines condition. (low compression = bad gas mileage)
Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

You need to consider that the carb isn't bad. He's saying it bogs when he gets in the gas, it more than likely is either a poorly tuned carb or an ignition issue. First go down the free route and tune the carb. I'm sure there are people on here with intimate experience with the autolite 1100 and they can help you tune it. Then check your carb if its clean, look down the top and see if it has alot of build up in it. If you want to look closer, take the carb off, simple 4 bolts and inspect it for build up. If thats not the case look into a rebuild kit. That should cost you less than $20 from a local auto parts store. Autolites are simple even for newbs to rebuild, I did. Look online for instructions or someone on here could provide you with insight. Second free method is to pull your plugs and check if they are fouled, if they are then that may be your problem, if not maybe your wires and work your way up that way.

Don't do throwing out and replacing things that you don't even know are bad yet.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

You need to consider that the carb isn't bad. He's saying it bogs when he gets in the gas, it more than likely is either a poorly tuned carb or an ignition issue. First go down the free route and tune the carb. I'm sure there are people on here with intimate experience with the autolite 1100 and they can help you tune it. Then check your carb if its clean, look down the top and see if it has alot of build up in it. If you want to look closer, take the carb off, simple 4 bolts and inspect it for build up. If thats not the case look into a rebuild kit. That should cost you less than $20 from a local auto parts store. Autolites are simple even for newbs to rebuild, I did. Look online for instructions or someone on here could provide you with insight. Second free method is to pull your plugs and check if they are fouled, if they are then that may be your problem, if not maybe your wires and work your way up that way.

Don't do throwing out and replacing things that you don't even know are bad yet.
+1

timing is easy, a half inch wrench and a timing light is all you need to set the base timing.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:15 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

I've done a lot of work with my old 240 in my truck. Set your timing around 10-12 degrees. Just so it is not pinging. This will help the bog out tremendously. Also, these old 1 bbl carbs seem to be very sensitive to float level. Also, make sure that your Accellerator pump is working and adjusted properly.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM
NSTG8R

alrighty! I have so many things to look at now... I will definitely try all of these suggestions out one by one and see what helps. I'll report back next week to let you all know how it turned out. Thanks a bunch!