Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

wiring up my fan and fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

Default wiring up my fan and fuel pump

ok guys so ill be wiring up my electric fan and fuel pump tomorrow... and i was wondering... where should/could i hook up the positive lines for the two.. that will give it power when the car is turned on.... i dont want to run it directly to the BAT... any ideas?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Default RE: wiring up my fan and fuel pump

What year is the car?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Regardless of the year, you need to hook to the run side of the ign switch, I suggest you fuse these new devices also so it doesn't take down your whole run circuit if a short develops.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

+1 on adding a fusible link to both circuits. Another option many people don't think about are the modular fuse boxes offered by Painless Performance Wiring. They are not too expensive and are a great way to add fused circuits to your current system. The extra money beats trying to splice all these accessories into a tired, 40-year old wiring system. That thing has probably already been spliced into tons of times. They sell modular fuse boxes with as few as 4 circuits. Take a look for yourself.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Your original ignition wires where never designed to handle the extra current draw. I would suggest putting in relays for both the fan and fuel pump..
Old 11-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I agree with the new modular fuse boxes. I'm really looking at ripping out all the wiring in my 68 and installing a complete Ron Francis Wiring Harness kit with the Express Wiring Panel. The panel is a huge upgrade from anything in our stangs with 16 fuses, 18 circuits, 4 Select-a-fuses, horn relay, cooling fan relay, hazard flasher and turn signal flasher included. Nice and tidy!

[IMG]local://upfiles/78041/83EC2E99A3934C02BD463E74475B6769.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/78041/50F97F29C7EB48F789CEDDB0DBBAA878.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

I don't think all that is necessary just to add two circuits to the car.

eep: You need to draw your power from the battery or from a circuit capable of suppling the necessary current. Use a fuse at the power source. Fusible links are fine but a maxi-fuse would be easier to troubleshoot/repair. Run this power to a couple of relays and switch the relays with key-on power. Pretty easy.

I would suggest you look into some sort of cut off switch for the fuel pump. There are switches that will turn off the pump when the oil pressure is zero. This would be helpful if you were in an accident. You could also go with an inertia switch to turn off the pump.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:58 AM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

ok sounds good... what number fuse should i use for these applications.. and where can find one of those fuel shut of valves or what ever there called
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 AM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

[snip]

I would suggest you look into some sort of cut off switch for the fuel pump. There are switches that will turn off the pump when the oil pressure is zero. This would be helpful if you were in an accident. You could also go with an inertia switch to turn off the pump.
The oil pressure is always zero at start up - what initally powers the fuel pump until oil pressure builds? This is a great safety feature and i like it - i just don't understand. Does it have 'inital start override that disables after XXseconds'?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

ive been looking around but i cant find the shut off valves anywhere.... also what number fuse do i need... 10, 15, 20, 25 i have no clue

Quick Reply: wiring up my fan and fuel pump