Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Windsor or Cleveland

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:46 AM
freddyb44

Default Windsor or Cleveland

What do you guys feel is the better engine to go with when looking for a 302? I have heard from a lot of people it is a Windsor no doubt. Just want to know what you think bout both. Godd or Bad. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Windsor or Cleveland

If you have a 302 stick with it. If you had a Cleveland then I'd say stick with that. In the end it costs just about the same to build either motor.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Eh, performancecleve builds can cost more. Parts, while more available now than 5 years ago, are still not anywhere near as common as windsor parts. Also harder to find a machinist familiar with cleves.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
freddyb44

I don't have either yet, looking into to one. I was curiuos on why choose either or. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

NEITHER ! Or both depending on how you look at it. I'd say build a Clevor. It's easy and they've been doing it for nearly 40 years. The secret code for it at Ford ? Boss 302
Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

The aftermarket for the Windsor is HUGE. Both are good, but I prefer the commonality of the W.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 PM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

Not true, this is from a post from Dodgestang in an earlier discussion regarding clevelands vs windsors. This is a very common misconception.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RSRXION

NEITHER ! Or both depending on how you look at it. I'd say build a Clevor. It's easy and they've been doing it for nearly 40 years. The secret code for it at Ford ? Boss 302
There is no benefit to building a clevor unless you want to use an aftermarket block. Stock to stock one block is as strong as the other.Also your intake manifold selection is severly limited and expensive. Your best bet is to either build a cleveland or a windsor.
If you are going to build a cleveland this forum is a good rescource.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/
Old 11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pushrodpower

ORIGINAL: RSRXION

There is no benefit to building a clevor unless you want to use an aftermarket block. Stock to stock one block is as strong as the other.Also your intake manifold selection is severly limited and expensive. Your best bet is to either build a cleveland or a windsor.
If you are going to build a cleveland this forum is a good rescource.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/
I'm not advocating that one block is better than another. BUT without question the 302 oils better on the bottom end, buzzes better and if you're worried about intakes... Boss 302 intakes are readily available. You get the breathing ability of the Cleveland and the rev's and oiling of the Windsor.

I've run them in a dirt modified and you'll just have to believe me when I say they are torque monsters.

JMHO, Dean
Old 11-08-2007, 04:09 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ok are you looking for an almost stock setup or what?
my suggestion is get the windsor block and use clevor heads windsor head choke your motor more than the clevor heads. and you save from aftermarket until you can build up fund for really building a motor.

Quick Reply: Windsor or Cleveland