Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pull-A-Part?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Pull-A-Part?

hehe or in the Jersey / Delaware area?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:39 AM
kj1977

They are called Wrench n' Go in Iowa. Pay $1 to get in and grab a wheelbarrow and go to work on any of the 1000's of cars out there. They have them organized by manufacturer (Ford, GM etc). When you have the part(s) you want, wheel your barrow up to the counter (which is sometimes a long, heavy haul depending on what you are there for). I got a temporary set of Cragar SS's after I did my www.discbrakeswap.com (4 to 5 lug) upgrade for $26 with tires. I don't plan on keeping them on there forever. But they will do until I finish the rear endand motor upgrade and can go shopping for what I really want. Happy Hunting!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

I love scrap yards!!!! I've found so many cool parts, and I can cut and weld to make stuff work. Temporary throttle linkages, 351W block, clutch resivor, and hood stops are a couple of parts I've picked up...
Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

There site http://www.pullapart.com/
Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 AM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

Hey kids! That is the way ALL junkyards used to be 'back in the day'. Before inventories and central data centers and someone realized that most parts were worth next-to-nothing and focusing on the few 'valuable parts' made good buisness sense. Someone's kid went to colleg and came home to run the family junkyard...
Old 11-09-2007, 07:53 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I thought everyone had heard of these...I go like every weekend!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 AM
6marc5
3rd Gear Member

We have a place here in Daytona called U-pullit. It costs a couple of bucks to get in,but parts are cheap.They usually have an old stang or two .
Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

The 2 that are near me are kinda lame, but I seriously doubt a person could physically carry anything that they would charge $100 for, at least for domestic cars. They (surprisingly) had a 2000 or newer Audi A4 in there that had (high) prices written all over the body panels and windows, but thats not the norm. Ive been to one in the Omaha area and it was actually a lot nicer and had better cars than the ones here in the Detroit area. Go figure... [:@] I went to the one here and got a complete rear disk brake setup for an 8 or 9 inch small bearing, calipers and rotors from a 2003 crown vic (expensive), 4 wiper switches to convert 60s fords to intermittent wipers, an FRPP oil pressure gauge, and I think some other small part, all for exactly $100.

EDIT: I got a 3g alternator with all that too.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

So cal has had pick-a-part and ecology center "you pull it" type junk yards for 30 + years. Ususally no classics in there but every now and then you make a find. The full service yards cost a bunch out here. If you need mustang parts, mustang village in Fontana,CA has a s**tload of cars they cut up and part out ( I bought a complete 66 left rear clip for 350)
Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: falconfixer

Hey kids! That is the way ALL junkyards used to be 'back in the day'. Before inventories and central data centers and someone realized that most parts were worth next-to-nothing and focusing on the few 'valuable parts' made good buisness sense. Someone's kid went to colleg and came home to run the family junkyard...
True, true, and then there was also insurance liability as our country's moto went from "In GOD we trust" to "Sue thy neighbor".

The one in the Kansas City area is called "U-wrench-it" and to keep the liability out of the question, they have you sign a waiver as you pay to get in.

Quick Reply: Pull-A-Part?