Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Crate Motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default Crate Motor

Well this winter I was thinking of switching to a new 5.0 EFI with a t-5 but I thought it over and decided not to. I would cost a few grand for the drivetrain and conversion part but with no significant performance gain, I would still have to shell out more money for performance parts. Also I do like the simplicity of a carb, you don't have to go anywhere to get it tuned, all you need is a screwdriver, or you could get a self tuning carb even. So I was thinking of a crate motor. It would be direct bolt in performance and I would be confident with a warranty and everything getting along. Any suggestions on a complete crate motor with around 350hp? Also I would be slapping on a t5 behind it, probably a g-force.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Crate Motor

http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_pages/102025.htm
I havent had any experiance with these guys but I see thier engines @ the dragstrip a lot.
Also I Mot of my engines bottom end came from Probe industries.
Try Coasthighperformance.com there the same guys.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Here is a link to the place I work they are some great engines you can also get upgrades if you want. There are a few guys on this forum that have bought engines from there.
tandlengines.com
Old 11-09-2007, 07:08 PM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

I've heard some good and bad things about several of the aftermarket companies. I'm looking at a Ford Racing crate motor myself. I'm all but sold on it. They include a12 month warranty and are ready to ship. That's my biggest thing. I've read some horror stories about people ordering engines from aftermarket companies and it taking FOREVER to get their engine because they take on too many orders, or get busy during the race season, or they run into troubles with employess, or whatever. No valid excuses in my eyes. If you can't handle the workload, don't take the people's money. On not bashing any company in particular. Just some of the horror stories I've heard in the past. I've also heard some good stories, but all it takes is one bad experience to make me wonder.

On the other hand, one guy posted recently saying he ordered a FRPP engine from Jegs and it was on his doorstep in two days! Not to mention you can't beat the reputation of Ford Racing. They're an established company with a strong background. You know your issues will get taken care of if you have any. Plus their motors are built from brand new blocks. I'm not a big believer in the whole "seasoned blocks are better" idea. I'd rather buy a new block that I can rebuild again if I needed to later down the road. Just my two cents.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Alright, if I went with a motor like thing ford racing crate motor could someone educate me on what else I would need to finish putting it together and drop into my car.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...splayPrice%7C0
Obviously I would need an intake, carb, and wires but what else would still be missing to hook up to the t5 and drop in?

Also mustanglover I went to your site and liked what I saw. I didn't see any prices though. What would I be looking at price wise along the lines of the ford racing motor, I would like to keep the price under $5000.

I plan on doing this hopefully a little after xmas time if nothing comes up.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

For a flat tappet 400hp 347 they go for $3695.00 shipping to most places usally under $300.00 if you want a roller cam and 430hp those are $4084.00. Those prices include everything from the intake to the oil pan and crome valve covers but you can upgrade pretty much anything. If memory serves me You can get a carb for $400 and disturbitor and wires for another $400. every engine is put on the dyno and run to breakin and test and tune. http://tandlengines.com/347_stroker.html
Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smittycm

On the other hand, one guy posted recently saying he ordered a FRPP engine from Jegs and it was on his doorstep in two days!
I had my Ford Racing motor to my doorstep in two days from Summit and couldn't be happier. It is probably not the best bang for the buck out there, but it certainly isn't the overpriced beast that it is often portrayed to be. When citing cost, people often compare this all new Ford engines with flatt tappet builds with one-piece rear main seal, non roller blocks.

BTW, it may take longer than getting it from Summit, but Mustangs Unlimited lists the Ford motor for $3750, about $300 less than Summit. However, some of that savings may be lost on shipping. I got mine shipped from the Reno store to L.A. for about $100.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

Alright, if I went with a motor like thing ford racing crate motor could someone educate me on what else I would need to finish putting it together and drop into my car.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...splayPrice%7C0
Obviously I would need an intake, carb, and wires but what else would still be missing to hook up to the t5 and drop in?
[ul][*]clutch and pressure plate (flywheel & pressure plate are included)[*]if you're using the v-belt, you may need to swap the balancer (call the Ford Racing tech line, they're great)[*]included water pump is reverse rotation (swap to standard if using v-belt)[*]use cable or hydraulic clutch unless you want to use the bolt on block pivot[*]electric fuel pump or you need to add a two-piece eccentric on the cam[*]valve covers (the supplied covers are beautiful, though they are for EFI)[*]front sump oil pan and pickup and dipstick[*]distributor with steel gear[/ul]
FWIW, even though I just finished my project, I'm gathering parts for EFI. Even though they only have a few hundred miles, I'll likely be selling the near new RPM air-gap manifold, Edelbrock thunder AVS carb and MSD billet distributor, 6A box and tach adapter to fund the project. Damn,I could've save a lot of dough if I thought this out better.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

When I get my crate im goin with t and l. I've heard great things about them and they have great prices. Not a big person on seasoned blocks but if they didn't make a difference performance wise then why would they still be using them when the manufacture crates? They have warranties too and can custom to order everything. Great company. Called them up and it seems they have great customer support. Check them out. I'm sure you'll be happy with there products/service/warranty.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:31 AM
JamesW

Hey Nathan, if you already started hunting and gathering any efi swap parts...lemmie know. I'm going to do one this winter on a '72 Ford truck.

Quick Reply: Crate Motor