Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Fastback-Strong gas smell!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 AM
65VegasFB

Default 65 Fastback-Strong gas smell!!

Just picked up my first 65 FB and have problem. While driving and immediately after running, strong gas smell. The smell is so strong, it almost knocks you out. No gas leaks that I see. I had a 66 Coupe and never had a odor problem like this. Any ideas? Please help! Thanks. [:'(]
Old 11-10-2007, 01:48 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 65 Fastback-Strong gas smell!!

Exhaust leak inside and a very poorly tuned carb that is running very rich? So I guess check your exhaust and see if your floorboards are rotted.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Many possible problem areas. Poor tank seal in the trunk would be the first place I'd start (assuming you've checked around all the lines for leaks). Ultra rich mixture and an exhaust leak or bad trunk seal could also cause the same problem.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:08 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yah you'll have to see if it's coming from the front, exhaust leak or back.
If it's extremely strong then my guess is its leakign in engine compartment and dripping on hot engine causing it to vaprorize.
so check fuel lines, fuel filters and carb
Old 11-10-2007, 08:16 AM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

what color is your exhaust? if its black, then it means ur fuel isn't completely combusting. could be a result of either improperly tuned carb or a weak spark. i had weak spark and it stunk.

if its not black then u prob got a leak somewhere...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 AM
DriWashSolutions
2nd Gear Member

Could also be a hole in the top of the gastank - either a puncture or from rust. Is the smell REALLY strong when you open the trunk?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Sniff around in the trunk to see if it smells strongest there. If not and there are no visible leaks pull the plugs, if they're black and sooty or have carbon deposits all over them then you either have too much fuel and/or weak spark. Check the reistance on your plug wires too to see if they're bad if you think it's a spark problem. Also, one thing to check is if it's later model heads that were designed for the air pump, see if the holes on the back of the heads are plugged, if not it'll dump out exhaust gas in the engine compartment, but it'd be pretty loud too if that were the case
Old 11-11-2007, 07:37 PM
65VegasFB

Thanks alot for all of the replys, what a great help. I think it is a combination of an exhaust leak at the headers and a mild smell from the gas tank area. Exhaust is easy to fix, but what is the best way to keep the fume smell to a minimum from the tank? There are no leaks or holes in the tank. Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:47 PM
rlbjrcpa
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem - it turned out to be an exhaust leak. Had a muffler shop find and fix the leak. Completely took care of the problem.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

right right right you are all right try them all and you can't go wrongI'd check out you'r tank it may not be venting at the gas cap air has to come out. well good luck!

oh and don't smoke in the car!! lol

Quick Reply: 65 Fastback-Strong gas smell!!