Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Vintage question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:56 PM
halsted

Default Vintage question

I purchased a '65 coupe, 289, automatic with 2bbl that is in good structural shape from original owner. Got it started, but does not idle well, stalls. Needs brake work. I would like to keep as a project car, get itin good running order and drive it for a while, then decide to sell. My question is this. I want to keep car as original as possible, but I really want to put a4bbl carb on. Was a 4bbl an option that year? If I replace to that , should I keep original 2bbl? Any comment welcome.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:28 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vintage question

Here is a good site that will tell you all the available options for any year. www.mustangspecs.com
Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Here is my OPINION, If you want the car to run better, have more power, and assuming you drive reasonably have better MPG than get your self an aluminum 4 barrel intake such as the edelbrock performer, and corresponding carb. The beauty of a swap like that is you can put the original parts on a shelf and either swap them back when/if you sell the car, or sell the car and offer those parts with it. The beauty of ALL bolt-on parts is that as long as you have storage for the originals you can make upgrades to your car but still easily return it to the original configuration. Of course in the case of MY opinion, consider the source my car is all about modification, and for my own personal tastes nothing on my car is original. And to answer your question yes a 4-barrel carb was an option and came on the hipo 289s
Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

Yes keep the 2v carb and intake put it to the side thats what I did mine was a 2v Ipurchased a original 4v intake off a parts car if you are going for theoriginal look you can purchased a edelbrock perfomer intake and paint it blue http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=skuthe performer is made from the same casting as the original it will look original and give you more performance at the same time I am going to upgrad to a performer rpm intake going to addsome more performance "cam" "heads" all edelbrock performer rpmif you need to look at some photosjust click onmy photos and you can see what the original intake looks like.

if you have questions I will try to help hope this helps you and good luck
Old 11-11-2007, 08:10 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

If you want a four barrel there is nothing wrong with that, but if you are wanting to change it out because the car runs rough try running a couple of tanks of good gas through it first. My 65 289 ran rough when I got it from the original owner but it just had stale gas in it from sitting so long. After a tankfull of premium without any ethanol and a little highway driving it smoothed out real nice. I also had to do brakes, and the radiator let loose once I actually started driving it some and it built up pressure. I ended up doing all new brake components, new radiator, thermostat and all new belts and hoses. I also changed the oil a couple of times in the first thousand miles.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:58 PM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

If its gonna be a daily driver then mod it to your tastes. The vin number will tell the truth about the car anyway. So IMHO, if you are gonna mod it, do it and make it yours. You can always keep the originals as mentioned above.

If its all still original, you might think otherwise if you want top dollar later.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:58 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BULLITT GT 390

Yes keep the 2v carb and intake put it to the side thats what I did mine was a 2v Ipurchased a original 4v intake off a parts car if you are going for theoriginal look you can purchased a edelbrock perfomer intake and paint it blue http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=skuthe performer is made from the same casting as the original it will look original and give you more performance at the same time I am going to upgrad to a performer rpm intake going to addsome more performance "cam" "heads" all edelbrock performer rpmif you need to look at some photosjust click onmy photos and you can see what the original intake looks like.

if you have questions I will try to help hope this helps you and good luck
It (the Performer)was definitely not made from the same castings as the ford cast iron 4 bbl manifold. It flows sustantially better than the stock 4 bbl, but is still considered a stock replacement, as its the closest to stock of any aluminum aftermarket manifold.
The manufactures (Edelbrock for example) are not going to go to the effort of making an aftermarket manifold that only flows like the original. where is the market for that? The Perfomer can handle up to about 300HP, but by this point, gains will be had by upgrading to the RPM for example.