Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Made a mess - need electrical help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default Made a mess - need electrical help!!!

I had my ignition switch out, just hanging by the wires. Trying to start the engine for a potential purchaser, hooked up battery and the cabin filled with smoke. Apparently the big post on the ignition switch was touching the dash.

I know I fried some wires cause I can see some. My question is, how far into the harness do I need to dig to replace the wires? Are there any circuits which would be completely uneffected, or do I have to go through the entire harness?

Any help appreciated.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:51 AM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Made a mess - need electrical help!!!

The big center post is the acc. post. Depending on the accessories you have. Check for inline fuses too. Those are probably blown. I know thereis at least one inline fuse that came from the factory there.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

No telling for sure. See how many fuzes blew, then go thru those systems. If the wires melted then they could melt thru/short any that are alsotouching, thusspreading problems. I'd do a real good visual for the obvious. Probably means pulling the dash apart. Hopefully you can easily fix the ones you see. May be a good time to replace the entire ignition harness/system.

It sucks no matter. Sorry.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I've already thought about replacing the old harness. May be my best option considering I was working with 42 year old wiring anyway. Everything is apart now, no interior, no suspension, only thing still in it is the 6 cyl and C-4. I left those in so I could start it for potential buyers.

I guess it could have been worse, I could have had it all back together and carried the stench of burning wires in the carpet and headliner.

Oh well, maybe I've gotten the big f'up out of the way. On my last project, it caught fire while they were putting in the exhaust. The exhaust shop guy didn't know that fresh paint was not a good surface for welding. At least I didn't do that one though, and they paid for the damage. This one is all on me.

Sucks!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

It sucks when it's all on you. But I agree, I would goahead and replace the harness.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

If you are only concerned about getting the engine started, maybe you should hotwire it. Run power to the ignition and manually jump the starter solenoid.