Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What kind of 302 should I be looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What kind of 302 should I be looking for?

ORIGINAL: megadeth

How come nobody has mentioned the mexican block?

The statement about all 302's being the same besides heads, cam, and balance is false.

It is not a false statement if you open your eyes and see the word “basically in there!!! Yes there are other options out there. Yes there are differences. Yes the Mexican block has stronger main caps, and are better for stoker motors and super high performance buildups, but for the average rebuild and average application ALL 302 BLOCKS ARE BASICALLY THE SAME!!!!! I didn’t see the point in confusing the issue.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:59 AM
megadeth

No, you were the one making it confusing for those out there who have heard about the mexican block. I guess i just thought you would've mentioned it and how it is built stronger. In fact ill post up a link to a side by side comparison here in a bit.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 AM
middiepride
2nd Gear Member

No, you were the one making it confusing for those out there who have heard about the mexican block. I guess i just thought you would've mentioned it and how it is built stronger. In fact ill post up a link to a side by side comparison here in a bit.
hey noob, relax. daze hellps plenty enough around here and as of right now, hes looking for an easy rebuild. no need to mention the special ones like teh mexican block. the chance he'll come acorss one is slim as hell, and he wouldnt even have real use for it
Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: middiepride

hey noob, relax. daze hellps plenty enough around here and as of right now, hes looking for an easy rebuild. no need to mention the special ones like teh mexican block. the chance he'll come acorss one is slim as hell, and he wouldnt even have real use for it
+1 for megadeth.

Daze is a really respected member around here that has an incredible amount of knowledge, I'm sure he is aware of the Mexican block. The Mexican block is better, but is also extremely rare and is in no way worth the trouble of tracking one down for an average build.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

By all means post the pictures we will see thicker webbing and heavier main caps. My challenge of your post was not to the validity of the Mexican block being better/stronger, but to the fact that you said my statement was false. If I had said “all 302s are the same” than yes the statement would have been false, but that is not what I said.

In this particular case the Mexican block is much like GT40 heads. Are they better absolutely with out question. Are they the correct option for all applications ABSOLUTELY NOT. If a person made a post saying something to the effect of “what stock heads would be best for my 302?” And went on to explain that their 302 had stock 2 barrel carb, stock intake, stock cam, and stock exhaust manifolds, I would not even mention the GT40 heads because due to the restriction in air flow from the other (non head) parts, the GT40s would not flow any better than a set of E7s and the gt40 heads would be much harder to find and thus cost considerably more. It is no different with the Mexican block; the original poster is looking to spend a reasonable amount of money on a decent block. Based on those criteria there is no need to mention a Mexican block, and based on those criteria my statement “If you are going to rebuild said motor a 302 is a 302 with three exceptions: heads, cam, and balance. All 302 blocks are basically the same and will rebuild the same.” Is accurate, to the point, and not cluttered with information not relevant to the original question. I am not looking to start a fight or battle of wits, I just don’t want to see information given out that is not relevant to the situation. It is so easy as a car enthusiast to get excited and recommend the biggest and best, why because many of us want the biggest and best. But to do so all the time with out more reasonable options is a disservice to those looking for decent quality at a reasonable price.

OK I have written my monolog for the week dealing with my philosophies of car restoration
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

I am going to have to agree with Daze on this, no need to bring up what is not needed.