Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:19 PM
cricket
1st Gear Member

Default Need some help

I decided that for my first restoration project its going to be a 1967 fastback with a 390 under the hood, but my problem is I don't know where I need to look to find one in the best possible condition, but still needs some work and is for a good price. Any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:52 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need some help

google search works.
ebay works.
collectorcartrader.com works.
you can find lots of places if you just spend time looking yourself. If you're honestly dedicated enough to work on classic car, then you should be able to find something yourself. If you're to lazy to look for a car thats for sale, then you probably shouldnt consider working on a classic car.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
fireball580

pick up hemmings motor news they have great cars but you have to look best thing is to subscribe to it because in the summer they have a lot of cars to sell or go to the all ford auction in carlisle pa or go to one of the ford swap meats.
http://springswap.com/
here is one in ohio they have all kinds of cars
Old 03-07-2005, 05:25 AM
302240Z
1st Gear Member

Ahh, memories. I had a 68 Cyclone GT fastback, 390, 4 speed. That car rocked! It took all the abuse I could give it. I'm sorry as *ell I ever sold it. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 AM
cricket
1st Gear Member

I was lookin on ebay yesterday, and people are spending way too much money on a car that doesn't even have everything on the body, or even an engine. I'm gonna keep hunting around on the internet, and check out some junkyards to see what I can find. I do know of a place that may have it. A junkyard where they pretty much only take in mustangs and other Ford vehicles. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cricket

...A junkyard where they pretty much only take in mustangs...
Really? An exclusively Mustang and Ford salvage yard? First of all - if the location leaks out, they'll be swamped! Secondly - perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower. You're talking about starting out with a pretty high-dollar car. How about a good ol' 65/66 hardtop? They're plentiful and can still be had for a reasonable price. You can certainly restore one for less than a 67/68 fastback, and not risk screwing-up a highly-valuable car. Know what I mean? Give yourself a learning curve now and your pocketbook will thank you later!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Think about it. I have 14 grand in my 65 coupe, and would not sell it for less. If you are looking for a quality vintage Mustang, you are going to have to pay for it. If you want a fix-er-upper, you can get one for less, but by the time you spend the bucks to get it in pristine condition, you will have spent as much money as I have to get my coupe in pristine condition.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

...by the time you spend the bucks to get it in pristine condition, you will have spent as much money as I have to get my coupe in pristine condition...
You make a good point as always Glen. But I guess what I was saying is that you don't need a "pristine" vintage Mustang as your first car. It's kind of a waste, doncha think? Leave the perfect restorations (especially of hard-to-find models) to the seasoned restorers, and let the younger generation learn on some of the more plentiful models.

I would say you could find a nice, driveable 65/66 hardtop for $5000, and not have to put but another couple grand into it and have it ready for the road. Tackle other projects as time and money allow.

Trust me: if you buy a 390 '67 fastback and tear it down for a done-right restoration and it's your first car - you'll burn out long before you finish it, and will have never enjoyed the thrill of driving a vintage Mustang. Baby steps...
Old 03-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Wessy
1st Gear Member

I wanted a Mach 1 and still do but I settled for my coupe when I found out how much the mach 1 go for! I'm only 22 and don't make the money yet to afford the high dollar cars, but I still own a classic and I still get to drive one, hopefully this friday after 6 months of hard work!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dan66

ORIGINAL: Soaring

...by the time you spend the bucks to get it in pristine condition, you will have spent as much money as I have to get my coupe in pristine condition...
You make a good point as always Glen. But I guess what I was saying is that you don't need a "pristine" vintage Mustang as your first car. It's kind of a waste, doncha think? Leave the perfect restorations (especially of hard-to-find models) to the seasoned restorers, and let the younger generation learn on some of the more plentiful models.

I would say you could find a nice, driveable 65/66 hardtop for $5000, and not have to put but another couple grand into it and have it ready for the road. Tackle other projects as time and money allow.

Trust me: if you buy a 390 '67 fastback and tear it down for a done-right restoration and it's your first car - you'll burn out long before you finish it, and will have never enjoyed the thrill of driving a vintage Mustang. Baby steps...
Yeah, you are right Dan. I guess I was just assuming that all of us want our cars in pristine condition. Paint and body work should be the last concern. Get her running good, with good safe brakes first.