Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Whats the best rattle Can Spray Primer??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default Whats the best rattle Can Spray Primer??

Department store level brand. I want to start hitting the little rust spots that I have and cover them with something good for a while.. Sorattle car primer is my friend, but whats the best in your own opinion?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whats the best rattle Can Spray Primer??

probably krylon
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

krylon +1

but you will have to keep applying it, a guy here has his olds 442 undercoated in it, and he says about 1 -2 times a month he has to touch up the undercarriage.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Primer is usually soft and absorbant and needs to be topcoated. I would use a Rustoleum brand color that is closest to what you need.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gjz30075

Primer is usually soft and absorbant and needs to be topcoated. I would use a Rustoleum brand color that is closest to what you need.
So are you saying topcote the primer, or just use the rustoleum?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 PM
QuarterMileMaster
1st Gear Member

"Dupli-Color" paint has the best sprayers that shoot the paint really even and smoothly. I tend not to get the same results with Krylon. BUT... if you're saying its just for the underside, I'd go with Rustoleum.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:16 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

I know it's not exactly what you asked for since it isn't a mainstream brand, but I have used Zero-Rust http://www.zerorust.com/with good results on some stuff. It is available in aerosol cans.

If you insist on using locally available rattle cans, I would clean the rust as well as possible and then use a self etching primer and then an enamel top coat. You can get both at an auto parts store like autozone, napa, peb-boys....

You need the primer for adhesion to bare metal and the enamel because as gjz30075 said, the primer can absorb water and the rust will come right through.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:50 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

since i finally pulled my car out of the garage and turned it around, I can actually get to the passenger side of the car and take the few surface rust bubbles down to bare metal and seal them with some primer.. So I was just wondering which brand you guys prefer..

I will probably go with the self etching primer, just because it will most likely be on the car for a bit until I get into the body work portion of the build.. And as sugested I will just topcoat with a "near to the same color" green that the car already is, instead of grey or black spots everywhere..

I used Krylon on the engine bay and it did seem to spray really nicely, they quit putting the hairspray nosles on those cans and upgraded to the good nosle that puts a nice even conical spray pattern out.. Sooo.. i guess i will just pick up some Krylon and self etching primer.. Thanks for the info guys,,

Any other info/opinions would be great!
-Justin
Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

well ur supposed to use a 2k over a etch i personally like using sem line of can stuff for temp fixes they have an epoxy prime in a can i believe its good for about 4 days after you shake it up just like a regular 2part epoxy primer from a gallon but yes it needs to be top coated makes sure to roll back all tape lines so you dont have sharp edges that will give you trouble when your blocking everything
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

well ur supposed to use a 2k over a etch i personally like using sem line of can stuff for temp fixes they have an epoxy prime in a can i believe its good for about 4 days after you shake it up just like a regular 2part epoxy primer from a gallon but yes it needs to be top coated makes sure to roll back all tape lines so you dont have sharp edges that will give you trouble when your blocking everything
You just brought up something I was wondering about.. How do you roll back all the tape lines,, What do you mean? I have masked before, but usually ended up just masking past the point that I needed to paint to kind of fade it in..

Quick Reply: Whats the best rattle Can Spray Primer??