Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New carb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM
scast34

Default New carb?

I inherited my dads classic 1966 mustang coup. I've had it tuned up, but the car still stalls when I accelerate faster than a slow start. The engine warms up and I drive it after 10 minutes. My dad put a manual choke on it. Fuel pump works great, but it seems like a high air-to-fuel ratio, and the engine stalls out if i drive it like a fuel injected engine. Its a straight 6, 289 (?) and I would like to put a performance carb in it. Any ideas?
scott
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New carb?

Accelerator pump.

How does one drive like it is fuel injected?

Performance carb and inline 6 is an oxymoron.......
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 69thunder

How does one drive like it is fuel injected?

Performance carb and inline 6 is an oxymoron.......
Yea, I'm not seeing how "one drives like it is fuel injected."

And what I would do for a "performance" carb is to upgrade to a 2 bbl.

Oh, it's a 200 btw, not 289. I sure wish they had 289 cubes though
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Cliffordperformance.net
Adaptors for the Weber 5200 and Holley 2300 series.
The Weber has the best street manors and I prefer it on the stock engine.
If you decide on a Holley 2300 dont go any bigger than the smallest 280 cfm on a stock engine.

The 200 is the best of the classic Mustang 6's.
Its 7 main bearing design makes it superior to the 170 and the 250 is rpm limited.
The 200 is capable of 7000 rpm safely in modified form.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 PM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

Dude, if its a staight 6, it aint a 289. Take it back to the tuner and ask them. They should have driven the car and told you if it had carb problems. If they just put in points plugs and wires, they aren't that good.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:59 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Scast34,
You cannot, repeat cannot, drive a carburated car like a FI when the engine is cold! That is one of the reasons FI was added to engines (improves the cold start drivabilityso theengine will runhotter sooner, thus reducing emmissions) Let it warm up for 2-3 minutes. You will know if you have a accel pump issue if it bogs after being warm or just pop open the air cleaner lid and look for a stream of fuel when the trottle is advanced. Welcome to the mustang world, BTW.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 AM
scast34

Hey thanks everyone. I'll admit..I know very little about these cars...that's why I joined this forum to learn. So please be patient with me, as I'm sure at some point most of you knew very little as well.

Glad to know it's a 200 and not a 289...I threw that number out because something just clicked, but now I know. So it sounds like I don't need a carb (that's good news) and just an accelerator pump. I hope this will stop the stalling. Is it easy to install or is this something a mechanic should do? Believe it or not, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I can replace one if I need one.

I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes before I drive it, so it's warm when I drive it. Again, it stalls to a shuddering stop when I step on the gas pedal at the same rate as a modern day car ( I don't know of any better way to describe my driving) where you can really accelerate from a stop. If I do this in the mustang, again, it stalls. At driving speed, when I accelerate, it wont stall..it's pretty smooth at that point.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:07 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

what you should check as well is that the choke is fully off, when you switch it off.
You say you have a manual choke.
- switch car off.
- remove aircleaner
- if you pull the choke cable, the butteryfly on top of carb should close (not fully but near enough)
- if you push it back in the butteryfly must be vertical, so it does not interfere with airflow anymore

Kalli
Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Also check accelerator pump adjustment (if applicable; I'm not too familiar with those 1100 carbs). Could just be it's not spitting enough fuel into the mix when you step on the gas.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 PM
scast34

This is all great info. Thanks everyone...I'll take a good look at the accelerator pump. Now comes the stupid question.......what do I look for and where is it?

Quick Reply: New carb?