Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New cd deck in 66

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:44 PM
253mustang

Default New cd deck in 66

I have a 66 mustang that is my daily driver and so I bought a new deck to put in it so I could listen to CDs. The problem is the whole isn't big enough to fit the new deck. So I was just wondering how I would go about installing it.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:00 PM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New cd deck in 66

There are several options. One way, and the MOST invasive, is to cut the dash to fit the standard DIN size unit, although a lot of people will probably tell you not to. Another, and the LEAST invasive, way to install the radio you have would be to just put it in the glove box. Another option could be to fabricate a bracket to mount it to the bottom of the dash. All that would be required would be to drill a couple holes for the mounting brackets to bolt to the underside of the dash. Another option would be to buy one of those radios that look similar to, and fit in the dash like a stock radio, but they will play cd changers, MP3's, etc. Just do a search at one of the Mustang vendors. Personally, I've heard nothing but bad things about those radios. Usually that they die after a year or so and no warranty support.Good luck with whatever route you choose. The choices really are endless and only limited to your imagination.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:25 PM
JamesW

Welcome to MF Alex!

Installing a modern radio in a 1st Generation Mustang always gets a lot of painful expressions here... because in order to do so you have to cut the dash. Lots of originality loyalists dispise cutting up old cars for modern conveniences.

However.....unless you're driving a rare variation of a 66..some historical model or a 66 K-code GT...then there were a million others just like yours and mine built. If you plan on restoring yours to a factory original condition, then don't cut the dash. If you're not, and there's no speciality about your 66, then I say go ahead and cut it to size to fit the DIN style radio. pick up bracing from just behind the ash tray.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
253mustang

Thanks a ton guys I'm 17 and just got my stang and my dad said we can't cut in but I like the glove box idea.

Thanks again!

Alex
Old 11-23-2007, 10:43 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Here is an option.
[/url]
Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 PM
JamesW

Another option is building a console and installing the radio in it.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:25 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I did the same thing in a 65 impala i had left the old radio there just not hooked up and mounted a din size in the glove box kinda sucked fliping stations.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:54 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

I left my original Am radio in. I mounted a deck under the dash as mentioend earlier. Looks fine, within reach.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:21 PM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

Another option is building a console and installing the radio in it.
JameW, that console looks incredible! How did you do that? You work at a some sort of fab shop that works with plastic? Did you just pull that from another car? I have a bench seat right now, but I'm thinnking of putting in buckets and a console.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
JamesW

I WISH that was mine...and that I had the skills to do that. Noooo... that was Ronnie K. Here's some pics of his car:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gid1145596

Quick Reply: New cd deck in 66