Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:10 PM
tdawg_65

Default Wiring Question

I am wiring a 68 mustang using the painless wiring kit, however I am having a hard time firguring out where this particular item is? Also can you please tell me where the electric choke is for the 954 wiring? Thank you.

Might have to come back witrh further questions, however I am just about done.

Thanks a mil.

Tito
Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 PM
tdawg_65

Default RE: Wiring Question

Ok, I found 4 original wires coming from the underside of the car. Is that what I am looking for. Also, where is the connection for the electrical choke, oil pressure, and the temperature sending unit?

Thanks a mil

Tito
Old 11-25-2007, 02:12 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

the electric choke should be on the carb, the oil pressure sending unit should be on the side of the block near the front and i believe it will be on the right, not 100% sure though

the temp sending unit should be near the thermostat housing
Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 PM
tdawg_65

Thanks, got everything hooked up as far as that. Now, my issue is the fuel sendingwire. I never knew how much fuel I had (I am guessing this is the line that does that) and didn't take anything out. When looking under the fuel tank. There is a cap with a bolt and hose attached next to it and on the passenger side, there appears to be a rubber thing sticking out. Can you tell me where to hook up the wire. Is it the bolt on the cap or the rubber thing on the passenger side.

Thanks a mil.

Tito

Oh and I looking for the back up lights/neutral switch??? Can't seem to locate that one. There are wires in the back that says the same thing and I think I hooked them up correctly, its the engine section part that I am looking for.

Again, thanks amil.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

i cant help you with this. but i did have a question. eventually i would like to replace the wiring in my 67. do you recommend the painless wire system for the 67-68, or get the factory replacement ones from mustangsunlimited? any difference between the two kits.

was installing this kit easy so far, was the directions easy to read. so far seems like you are having some trouble with it, and in my head im thinking shouldnt the instructions tell you all this and have pictures where each wire goes.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
tdawg_65

ORIGINAL: djsprinklesnjo

i cant help you with this. but i did have a question. eventually i would like to replace the wiring in my 67. do you recommend the painless wire system for the 67-68, or get the factory replacement ones from mustangsunlimited? any difference between the two kits.

was installing this kit easy so far, was the directions easy to read. so far seems like you are having some trouble with it, and in my head im thinking shouldnt the instructions tell you all this and have pictures where each wire goes.
Don't know about the factory one, didn't see it at the time of the purchase. The painless is not bad at all, it's me. If you have more then a basic idea about car parts you should be fine. The actual putting the wires isn't bad. What I recommend you do is keep your old wiring harness from the vehicle, because there are certain things you are going to need that is not included in the kit. The instruction book is pretty self-explanatory, again the questions that I have, is more or less the lack of knowledge on my part. I took on this project knowing good and well,what I am capable of doing, just I don't have the vehicle part know-how.

All in all, the booklet is good, the wires are tagged, so you know where things go. One thing I do recommend, is know you are car. What it has on it. The kit gives you alot more wires then I needed, and at first I was worried, but after re-thinking and rereading, I was fine.

If you would like, I can scan you some of the instructions from the booklet, so you have atleast an idea of what to expect from the booklet and send it to you.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

good points you make. thanks. yes if you can scan a few pages so i can see it. that would be appreciated so much. thanks once again
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 AM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tdawg_65

Thanks, got everything hooked up as far as that. Now, my issue is the fuel sendingwire. I never knew how much fuel I had (I am guessing this is the line that does that) and didn't take anything out. When looking under the fuel tank. There is a cap with a bolt and hose attached next to it and on the passenger side, there appears to be a rubber thing sticking out. Can you tell me where to hook up the wire. Is it the bolt on the cap or the rubber thing on the passenger side.

Thanks a mil.

Tito

Oh and I looking for the back up lights/neutral switch??? Can't seem to locate that one. There are wires in the back that says the same thing and I think I hooked them up correctly, its the engine section part that I am looking for.

Again, thanks amil.
On my 65 the fuel sending wire connects to the screw/nut in the middle of the sending unit next to where therubber hose connects. On my painless system I had to purchase the reverse/backup/neutral safety pigtail seperatley. This pig tail and the column pig tail were the only things I had to purchase.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

on my 69 the nuetral safety switch wires ran into the engine bay and straight down to it on my tranny. and my backuplights and whatnot went from inside the interior to the floor shifter. i didnt realize how many things wernt hooked up untill i started taking out wires. none of my guages were hooked up, my electric choke, nuetral safety switch, and several interior items were just cut off and taped
Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

Painlesshas theinstallation manualsavailable online for the new 69 harness, maybe they have urs.

Quick Reply: Wiring Question