Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What tool(s) would you recommend???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What tool(s) would you recommend???

I'm Craftsman all the way. I keep a 3/8, 1/2, 9/16, & 5/8 socket and wrench set in my trunk for emergency road side repairs. also jumper cables and fire extinguisher.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:22 AM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the post on the 289 or 302 conversion from the I6.....kind of freaks me out a bit though! Wow. I didn't know it'd take all that for the swap.

Question - Is the I6 peppy? I know it's not "fast", but does it provide some driving excitement? It also has a 3-spd.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:59 AM
crey

My boss had a 65 with an I6. He seemed pretty pleased by it. A 3-spd would be fun. I'd recommend that you get the car on the road and enjoy it for awhile before getting in too deep with a restoration. Then you'll get a better idea of all that needs to be done.

From the sounds of it, your car has a bit of rust in the usual places. Get a sandblaster and a big compressor. Sandblasting is fun. A wirefeed welder is also useful for autobody repairs. I've only have a stick welder now and it's a bit frustrating. I've been told that even a monkey can use a wirefeed. My grinder is nice too. I found the dremel too slow for car stuff. For removing surface rust, the black glue and sand wheels for the drill work as good as the wire wheels, but without all the wire bits getting in your clothes. They were on sale at Target of all places, so I loaded up.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'm going to post a slightly different take on torque wrench selection.

Especially for your first one, just get a basic beam-type with the pointer and a scale. The price is right, it's much more durable, never needs calibration, and you can do any necessary "zero" adjustment yourself. Perhaps most importantly, ithelps you develop a "feel" for how much torque any given fastener should be tightened to. Don't underestimate the usefulness of "feel" as part of almost anything you'll attempt in this hobby.

My 150 ft-lb wrench is ~40 years old, and the little 1/4" drive in-lb wrench is only a few years younger.

Norm
Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

^ while i hate those types of torque wrenches, he's 110% right about learning to "feel" how tight any given bolt needs to be.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
66_grn_fstbk
1st Gear Member

get your self a small fridge for the garage, otherwise the young one will spend all his time gettiin dad a beer! Son could store a soda in there too so he dont wander away while your under the car doin the work!!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:13 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Craftsman is decent, the quality is high enough that it doesn't break very often for someone working in their garage, just don't get crap made in China, it'll break all the freakin time. And as for beam style wrenches, they are good for getting a feel, and doing other things as well, but often you'll find yourself having to torque something from a position where you can't read the beam straight on, or even read it at all. In a case like that, you'll never get accurate torque, that's where the clicker type comes in handy. Both are good to have.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I have always coveted Mac and Snap-On tools, the problem being that I am too cheap to buy them, and I know my "tool etiquette" does not justifyhaving such nice tools..... so I use Craftsman as well...

I am not beneath going to Harbor Freight for some specialty tools either....

And.... don't fear the complexity of a V-8 swap, it is not hard,it is strictly a bolt in affair.. but work your budget out before you plunge in,,, the parts are not cheap....

Just bought my younger son a 64 Falcon with an I-6, we will leave it that way for a year or so, then we will go to a V-8.....

The Mustang swap was easy enough that we are plunging into a very similar swap for the Falcon, no doubt that we will go V-8,, God willing.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 PM
dirtydave289
3rd Gear Member

I'm doing the same

except i'm the 15 year old son