Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

It Keeps Dying when i put it in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:58 AM
houn37d

Default It Keeps Dying when i put it in gear.

I got a 1965 ford mustang with a 289. I was driving the car one night and she kinda lost power a few times....like i was runnin out of gas, but i had gas in it. the next mornin i ran up to the store and she went dead as i pulled into the store. Again about 6 more times on the mile drive back from the store. i have replaced the following parts.

carburetor
coil
vaccum advance
all lines into the carb
Fuel filter
plugs and wires

i dint replace the points cause they look really good. also i didnt replace the fuel pump cause it seems to be pumping plenty of fuel into the carb. Also when i put the new carb on it she crank fine, and drove around the block once. the second time around the problem started all over again. when I crank it it runs, i keep it idled high and it kinda dies down to real low and picks back up again. and will continue doing that for as long as i run it. As soon as i put it in gear it dies everytime. WHAT COULD IT BE?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Default RE: It Keeps Dying when i put it in gear.

im guessin it only dies in the low rpms but is fine while driving. either your carb needs to be tuned or your timing, thats what it sounds like to me
Old 11-27-2007, 07:50 AM
houn37d

naaaa it dies when i put it in gear...i checked the timing and its good.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check for vaccum leaksaround intake possibly the vaccum modulator line down on the tranny came off or is split / allowing a vaccum leak
Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

i know, when im talkin about rpms i mean in gear. its the carb then, just tune it. depending on what kinda carb, it has holes on the side. stick a screw driver in them while the car is on and in park and you can kinda hear when your making it better worse [8D]
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 AM
houn37d

i've tried adjusting the carb a little but i didnt wanna get it all outta wack, it wasnt doing much difference....

wht about this vaccume mudular line? what exactly am i lookin for around the transmission......cause im thinkin either i go ahead and change the fuel pump or its losing vaccum or compression some where.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: houn37d

i've tried adjusting the carb a little but i didnt wanna get it all outta wack, it wasnt doing much difference....

wht about this vaccume mudular line? what exactly am i lookin for around the transmission......cause im thinkin either i go ahead and change the fuel pump or its losing vaccum or compression some where.
the line should go from a vaccum tee in the intake manifold into a hard metal line down to the tranny on the right rear by the tail shaft..it'll have a line attached to the back of it connecting it to the line that goes up to the manifold

Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

Check all the vacuums as mentioned. Make sure you dont have a leak in any of your carb seals, ie you can spray some carb cleaner at the base to see/ hear any changes. The temp here in NTX just dropped and I have had to put some effort into warmingmine up before she runs smoothly so I'm also looking into my electronic choke.

If it went away after a new fuel filter, but came back you could have crap in the tank and clogging the filter again.

I'd also change the points, cap and rotor since you did most all else anyway. Or better yet switch over to petronix.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

check for vaccum leaks
+1 on that. It's a very common problem on the automatics (can't help much hear as I drive manual).
But I've seen this question popping over and over again.

usually it's too lean mixture, which can be cause by a lot of things.
In addition to what mjr46 says:

- check if it happens when you hit the brakes in neutral as well (try pumping the brakes as well as in stepping on them a few times).
sometimes this is causing it and people mistake it for putting into gear (as they usually do _both_ when putting into gear).
if this causes the car to misbehave as well, then check the hose from the powerassist to manifold, it might be leakiing.

If not then get a can of carb cleaner. when engine is running i 'parking' and idle:
- spray around the carb (not into the carb)
- spray around the intake manifold
- spray around the hose going to power brakes
- spry around the vacuum modular line (no idea what it is as I drive manual)

when the idle speed changes while doing that, then you are pulling 'false air' from where you're spraying at.
*Under normal circumstances the idle speed shgould not change while doing that unless the spray gets into the top of carb (aircleaner)

Kalli

Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Check the vaccuum advance diaphram on the distributor. If it the original one replace it.

Quick Reply: It Keeps Dying when i put it in gear.