Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I need stuff for a 73 Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:03 AM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I need stuff for a 73 Mach 1

Hey PushRod .... I'd like to see a picture of that install.Knowing that there is about an inch and a half difference in the length of the fenders and extensions... I don't know how you got it to line up and look right.

As for the Crites info... I'd say it's a typo. In the 71 model year most of the Mustangs used a chrome front bumper. That also mandated chrome fender extensions and a chrome hood trim piece to complete the chrome wraparound look. In 72 the enduraflex bumper became much more common and I THINK it was standard on the Mach 1's. In 1973 the enduraflex bumper was MANDATORY onALL Mustangs to meet the Department of Transportation impact absorbing bumper standards. The rear bumper was also spaced back an additional inch from the body using longer brackets, a longer fill panel between the bumper and the tail light panel and longer rubber 1/4 panel extensions on the bottom of the rear quarter panels. Very subtle and very minor BUT ... that's the way they built them.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The urethane front bumper was used on all Mach I's from '71-'73. All other '71/'72 Mustangs came with chrome bumpers, and could either have painted or chrome extensions and hood moldings.

There are some minor differences in the fenders and grill mount, but they are easily alleviated with a little knowledge of the vehicle.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Not to be argumentative Colorado but the differences in the fenders is NOT minor. It is a structurally differentissue between the 71-2 fenders and the 73 fenders. The 71-2 fenders will indeed bolt to the 73 BUT they are dramatically different in the area surrounding the fender extensions, headlight door and bumper alignment areas. It's not a simple fix unless you're a pretty good craftsman able to remove the substructure around the headlight buckets and graft in the appropriate substructure from another correct year fender. How can I be so sure ? Because I've done it ! It ain't easy.

The painted bumper was not standard on the 71 Mach 1's. It was available but it was not standard equipment IN MY OPINION. In fact my parts books list the first painted bumper with a D2ZZ-1775-F part number. That's a 1972 issued part if that helps. Apparently the painted hood and fender trim also was used on chrome bumpered carsas well as the enduraflex bumpered cars.

I'm still waiting to see proof of the Mach 1's with a factory installed flat hood.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
shr
3rd Gear Member

do you have pics of the 73 and 71/72 fender structure you are talking about? im wondering if i have a 73 fender that im trying to fit on my 72..
Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Do you have the D3ZZ fender extensions ? If so they are longer than the 71-2's by about an inch and a half. The indentation on the fender matches the length of the extension and aligns with the bend. I'll get a pic of mine and an extra and post them tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You are overly argumentative and generally wrong in every case.

The NASA scooped hood was an option on the '71 Mach I. "Unique hood with twin NASA-type hood scoops, optional at no extra cost on Mach I with standard engine." Straight from Ford's literature.

And another: "Front bumper constructed of molded urethane and doubles as a front air spoiler...bumper is color keyed to the exterior body color."

Also, a tachometer was not standard on a Mach I.

Again, this is straight from Ford's own sales literature. Think they may know how they offered their cars?

The Boss 351 is based on the standard fastback and uses the same body code and came only with the chrome bumper. However, the fender extensions and hood trim were color keyed.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:00 AM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Now THAT'S funny ! You and I have disagreed on about everything. Clearly you are the smartest person on this forum and I must be an idiot. I've owned more classic cars than you'll ever fondle and I've forgotten more about Fords than you'll ever know. I'll make you a deal... you don't reply to my posts and I won't reply to yours.

In the meantime I'm still waiting for proof that Ford ever built even a single Mach 1 from 1971-1973 that had a plain flat hood. Show me just one example.

While you're at it send me some info on the 1971 Boss 302 with Ram-Air that you say Ford built as a regular production unit. While you're at it tell me again how Ram-Air wasn't offered on the 351 Cleveland cars.

Don't be silly.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

rsrxion watch the first gone in 60 sec thats a 73 mach1 with a flat hood.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RSRXION

Hey PushRod .... I'd like to see a picture of that install.Knowing that there is about an inch and a half difference in the length of the fenders and extensions... I don't know how you got it to line up and look right.
The car is in paint right now and this is the best photo I could find.
I found this to be a pretty straightforward bolt on operation.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

They didn't make those.

Don't trust Ford's own sales literature? Grow the f&ck up already. You haven't owned more classics, nor fondled more classics than I have.

Your senility is amusing, but is a bit on the childish side. I would guess you're more likely to be 14 or 15 than someone that actually was born in '64. Read back up the thread and tell me who brought up this whole thing, anyway?
ORIGINAL: RSRXION

Now THAT'S funny ! You and I have disagreed on about everything. Clearly you are the smartest person on this forum and I must be an idiot. I've owned more classic cars than you'll ever fondle and I've forgotten more about Fords than you'll ever know. I'll make you a deal... you don't reply to my posts and I won't reply to yours.

In the meantime I'm still waiting for proof that Ford ever built even a single Mach 1 from 1971-1973 that had a plain flat hood. Show me just one example.

While you're at it send me some info on the 1971 Boss 302 with Ram-Air that you say Ford built as a regular production unit. While you're at it tell me again how Ram-Air wasn't offered on the 351 Cleveland cars.

Don't be silly.

Quick Reply: I need stuff for a 73 Mach 1