Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

classic licence plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:46 AM
RolandT3Speed
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: classic licence plate

In Texas you can use a vintage plate on an antique vehicle. The plates have to be in good condition and not registered to any other vehicle. I think the fee is $60-70 and it's for 5 years, just like regular antique plates that the state issues.
And the car will still need to pass a safety inspection.
There's a form you can pick up at the DMV. Fill it out and bring the form and the plates into the DMV when you register.
I had a copy of the form around because I have old plates I'm going to use when I get the car back in the road but I can't find the form right now.
Just go down to the DMV and talk to them. There may be info online but I can't find it.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LCC

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

What do you guys mean by "paint" the plates? You are legally allowed to do that? If you did that to any plate around here you'd get yanked and ticketed IMMEDIATLY!!!! LOL!!!
Same up here in Canada....
Technically its illegal, but Florida has so many antique tags and colors, that if you make them visible they wont bother you. I painted mine metallic black and took a DA and sanded off the raised portions to a nice shiony metal finish and then clear coated the entire thing. It matches the car and the numbers/letters are extremely visbile.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Oh. Hmmm. Cool I guess, but you still couldn't do that here. Cops are dicks. They'll pull you over for sneezing.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:16 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

mine in the pic above is a caddy white pearl off of an 07 im gonna do the letter back blue probably some hok cause i gotta a little laying around
Old 12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

We've got a garage wall full of all the plates (including a few sets for both car and truck) from about '60 thru 80 that came with this house. Pity the colors on the '69 one clash horribly with our mustang.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nabster

We've got a garage wall full of all the plates (including a few sets for both car and truck) from about '60 thru 80 that came with this house. Pity the colors on the '69 one clash horribly with our mustang.
I don't think much WOULDN'T clash with a Lime Green Mustang. I just saw one this afternoon and even the driver herself clashed with the car. (she was wearing a leopard print blouse and scarf wrapped over her hair. [:'(]
Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

haha. so once you get the plates you only pay to get it inspected? and your set for how many years? anyone here know the rules for tx?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Ste7of1
1st Gear Member

Call your dept of Motor Vehicles and ask all the details. In Indiana they are cheap, but, your use is restricted to sunday drives, trip to the car show, under 2K per year, etc. Not for a daily driver. Can't say they enforce it, but, still good to know before you get one.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

In Massachusetts you can get a Year of Manufacture plate but you have to bring it to the Registry of Motor vehicles and let them inspect it to be sure it's authentic, not rusted, and is readable. If they approve it, there is no extra charge for the plate usage.

NO matter what type of plate you have -- Antique, Year Of Manufacture, etc, you must have the yearly inspection. We just don't have to put the classics through the vigorous emissions tests.

You have to use the same year plate as the car unless there was no printed plate for that year, and in that case, you use the year before. On my GTO I had to buy a 1964 plate since the state didn't issue a plate with the year on it in 1965.

Still can't find a 1967 Massachusetts plate ...
Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

so can i buy a texas 1970 licence plate if its the same number as my licence plate. i know theres a person on ebay that sells custom old plates. and she can do my same # then i can just change it out on my car.

also do you have to have a plate in texas on the front. ive been searching everywhere trying to find that out

Quick Reply: classic licence plate