Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Thanks DAZE, front-end aligned!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 AM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Thanks DAZE, front-end aligned!

Still has the stock springs, my dad put 620's in his and it rides like a wagon.

I still have to have it wet sanded and buffed, then I can put all the trim, mirrors, door handles, etc. I also need to have an exhaust made to run the pipes out the side skirts. With Xmas coming and funds low, it will be spring before it's all done. At least I can drive it around a little until then!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tarafied1

Thanks DAZE,
Got the front-end aligned with the specs you have on your site.

Glad I could help!! How close did the alignment shop get it?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 AM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

They spent quite a bit of time on it and the guys say they get paid by the job/car. But they got it right on the money. They took about 3 hours and busted a few knuckles because of the headers being right in the way of the lower control arm eccentric bolts. They had 3 guys on it at one time.
I'm pleased with the effort. They even let me be in the shop and watch while they did it and usually that's a big no-no!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Did they print you out a spec sheet? Reason I ask is that most 65-66 Mustangs have to be aligned "close" but not right on. that is why I created the list on my web page so that a shop knows what needs to be accurate and what can be fudged on. I was just curious what the final specs were just to see how close they got it.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

Daze,
The camber was -.5 degrees on both sides. Toe-in was 1/8" and caster was was 2.75 degrees on both sides. Very accurate machine they tell me.
They did a "before" but I didn't ask for the print out because it was way off. I just bolted everything on and set the adjustments by eye without the engine so when it had all the weight the camber was really negative and the toe was out real far.
Craig
Old 12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for giving me the exact final specs. You are one of the lucky ones, that is about PERFECT!! There again glad to here that my specs were able to help you. Obviously that is a really good alignment shop to spend that kind of time and get things that perfect. I think that is the biggest problem people find and that is getting an alignment shop will ing to spend 3 hours to dial a car in. I bet it handles like it is on rails.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:07 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I kinda lucked into this place. It's near Fort Cambell and the ricer crowd is pretty strong. The main guy is into old japenese cars. He has a Datsun B210. One of the other guys built a lowrider bagged 84 C10 Chevy short box. They are car guys and appreciate cars. There are a couple younger guys too but they seamed cool. I talked a lot with the maneger before deciding to do the work there. When they asked a lot about the car and what I wanted to do with it I guess I figured they could handle it. I am very happy with the work.
I haven't really got after the car too much yet, still shaking things out but it feels real good. Your site really helped me be prepared to go in there and specify what I needed.
Thanks
Craig
Old 12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

I do remember they were joking around. At first they had to adjust the toe to get the steering wheel center. Normally that is not first. They joked around that after that most shops would say "okay were done", they ended by adjusting the toe after the other adjustments were done. They had to over-ride the computer to put in what I asked for but never even questioned me. I knew then I had the right place. I don't know if all Firestone shops would be this good! One motivator too could have been I told the guy doing most of the work he could take it for a test drive. He came back smiling ear to ear! It felt weird watching someone else drive my car. My wife told him he was the only other person to drive that car in 17 years! Even she hasn't driven it. He had one of the other guys take his picture by the car in front of the shop when he got back and we put the nose back on.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

You give me inspiration with that ride. VERY NICE!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

Does Firestone still offer their lifetime warranty alignment?

Quick Reply: Thanks DAZE, front-end aligned!