Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Unisteer rack and pinion installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Default Unisteer rack and pinion installation

I am installing the rack and pinion on my coupe - followed the instruction up to the "mock" set up of the u-joints ... right there I have an issue ... their pictures look really good but they do not show the clutch Z bar nor the clutch return spring ... when I try to install the shaft section between the rack and the steering column, it is not fitting or not of the proper geometry [:@]

Someone with some tips or actual pictures of their set-up?
Old 12-06-2007, 05:38 AM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Unisteer rack and pinion installation

Anybody? really trying to finish up that thing so I can drive this w-e

Old 12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I have the Flaming River setup and run an automatic so I had no such problems. But there are others on here who have also installed the FR setup with a stick shift and they had similar problems to you. From what I can remember of the conversations, it was a real nut-roll. Have you called the company to see if they could drop some knowledge on you?

May be worth a shot.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:54 AM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

I filled up a formal request on their website ... will likely follow up with a phone call in the afternoon

In the meantime, other comments / ideas are welcome!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Just talked to them ...."they heard about customers having this issue .... they usually end up relocating the clutch equalizer bar" ... " it is really meant for cable or hydraulic clutch systems" .... how do you like that [:@]

All this work to reach this conclusion! makes me sick! gonna have to throw some more money in !
Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scuf23

Just talked to them ...."they heard about customers having this issue .... they usually end up relocating the clutch equalizer bar" ... " it is really meant for cable or hydraulic clutch systems" .... how do you like that [:@]

All this work to reach this conclusion! makes me sick! gonna have to throw some more money in !
Yup - knew about that one... I had the exact same issue with my FR rack and the clutch z-bar. I called FR and they said their system was designed on an automatic car and couldn't gaurantee fitment on a manual car. GREAT! So what did I do? At first I had to employ another U-joint into the steering shaft and direct the shaft under the Z-bar. This BARELY worked, as the abgles were so great that with even ONE more degree of angle the u-joints would bind. Then later I did the T5 conversion and now have a cable clutch!!! Replaced the multiple u-joint shaft with a straight one andnow we're good to go. Hooray for Mustang Steve!

So now - a word of caution to ANYONE considering the installation ofANY rack and pinion system (whether its Unisteer, Flaming River, Randall's, etc.) into their Z-bar equiped 'stang - YOU WILL HAVE INSTALLATION ISSUES!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Scuf23....
Old 12-06-2007, 04:36 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Here is my plan : I am going to double check where the interference issue is on the Z bar, and if possible I will cut it and re-weld it with an offset ... since the Z bar only rotate a given amount, I should be able to make it work ... I will hopefully get it done between tonight and tomorrow, will post pictures

Rorin67 ... NICE CAR!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Scuf23 - And BE CAREFUL with the cutting and welding. I had a custom shop to that very thing, and it didn't hold AT ALL (bar bent upon first application of clutch...[:@]). So, if you're going to try it, make sure that when you reweld it, that you reinforce the holy bejesus out of it. By cutting and re-angling the Z-bar, you're jeopardizing its integtrity and strength by re-angling its points. So to make up for that, you'll really have to reinforce whatever area you are changing with extra metal, support, etc. I feel for you buddy, I really do...

Best of luck - and please do post pics!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

You may run in to one more issue with that Unisteer set up and that is the u-joints binding ever so slightly. this can be fixed by using a longer connecting link between the column u-joint and the R&P U-joint at least that is what I did for mine and what a friend did for his.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

well their instructions say that the linking shaft is supposed to be too long and need to be cut ... just checked and it is barely long enough! at least as I am setting this thing up

I am bringing the z-bar to work tomorrow, will get either my maintenance crew or one of our mechanical contractors to cut and weld for me - will make sure to RE-INFORCE hopefully pictures tomorrow night

Quick Reply: Unisteer rack and pinion installation